IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kenai Trip: Kings, \'buts, and bows (Pics)

Reeltrouble and I headed off to Alaska two weeks ago friday for a fishing adventure on the Kenai Penninsula. We stayed at All Alaska Outdoors, just outside of Saldotna. After hanging out in Anchorage for a few days, we were aching to fish. After arriving at the lodge on Sunday night, and going to bed too late, or early depending on how you look at it, light makes it tough to sleep. The next morning we were off to Seward for Halibut fishing, we were about halfway there when this driver's load shifted and he jacknifed about 15 mins ahead of us, and blocked passage for a few hours.

A couple of hours late getting to the marina, we decided to still go out, and we had nice weather and caught a few fish! That's me (Erik) on the left and Reeltrouble (Chris) on the right, would you look at that giant silver we're holding, I caught it mooching the captain's rod.

Day 2 put us out on the Kenai for the opener for bait, and the lifting of the slot limit. Our first fish was this nice little trout that my dad caught, our guide Monte is shown holding it.
WHOA! Turns out we had a double, my pole was tangled with the trout line, so Monte grabbed it, my first Kenai King was a ten pounder, that swallowed the bait, so we kept it, and I was done for the day. (Ten lb fish not picture :smile: ) A bit later dad capatilized on the lift of the slot limit with this 56 lber
We finished our afternoon trip with three fish. Day 3 we were back on the Kenai with Monte, and carnage insued. I redeemed myself with a 50 lber, Reeltrouble managed to undue a day 2 skunk with a 56 lber, and his dad caught a 58 lber, my dad went backwards, but caught a chrome 35 lb hen. Turn away now if you don't like carnage
Here's a cleaner one of us holding them back at the lodge.
Reel Trouble inside left, and myself, inside right.

[ 07-11-2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: The Overfishin Condition ]

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Kenai Trip: Kings, \'buts, and bows (Pics)

Day four took us on a flyout to wolverine creek where we ran into a dozen bears or so...
And caught a few reds in the process....
The next day we were back on the Kenai with Monte, scheduled for Kings, but only reeltrouble had a tag to fill for his two fish Kenai limit, so we headed upriver a bit looking for trout. The water was pretty off color, but we did alright on the bows and dollie vardens, all caught and released. However, Reeltrouble backbounced eggs and managed to fill his tag with a nice little 13 lber (not pictured either). That was scheduled to be our last day, with saturday being a break day, but b/c our other Halibut trip was shorted, we decided to make another, out of Homer this time. We did ok, here's reeltrouble and I, me on the left, with my big halibut, the biggest we caught out of the chicken holes we were fishing. In the current we were anchored in, he wore me out pretty good.
That concluded our trip! We went back to anchorage, and reeltrouble and dad flew out, dad and I didn't fly out till red eye, so we went moose watching, we saw ten, here's one good close up,
That's one pic of everything except dollie varden's and the giant ling we caught. But you got the token bear and moose pictures. If you've never been to the Kenai, it's a trip worth making. Tight Lines, TOC.

[ 07-11-2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: The Overfishin Condition ]

·
Registered
952 Posts

Nice pictures. :cheers: That looks like a trip I have to take SOON!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
869 Posts

WOW!! Congratulations on a fantastic trip...FISHING, FISHING and more FISHING!! Cool pics..thanks for sharing with us!

Jeff

·
Registered
12,166 Posts

I fished those stomping grounds about 6 years ago, it's a blast out there, so much varied fishing. Great fish, great pics!
GBS

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

Great pic's and info. Thanks ! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

B/C you can't really see us in any of the pics, here's one more of reeltrouble (left) and me (right) holding our big fish using my original (patend pending) scale.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

looks like my kind of dream vacation. nice post. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Now them be some pigs!!

great photos.....I'll get out there someday.

Bobby

·
Registered
10,811 Posts

AWESOME PICS TOC! I'm definitely envious! :bowdown: :cheers:

·
Registered
862 Posts

Hogs, hogs, and more hogs....you've got to love Alaska!!! Nice work on what looks to have been an epic trip.

Steelie28

1 - 13 of 13 Posts