IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only gave a half ass report last week so I'll try and do it justice this week. Last sunday I fished the Anchor. This is without a doubt one of the best rivers on the Peninsula. its only open on weekends, so seeing the friday night blast off is cool. Anyways last sunday I landed 8 in 4 hours, the largest being around 25lbs. I lost one that was a pushing 45. This weekend I went down for the friday night show and had shot line itis. I broke off 2 in 30 minutes and went home. I went back on saturday night and got 4 on eggs. I also fished the ninilchik on saturday to no avail. I fished the kasilof on friday night for 2 hours and hooked one and tonight I went down for 4 hours and hooked 8 and landed 1. The pukers are in thick. (puker is a local term for tourist, you take them out on the boat and they puke). The locals and semi locals all know the game but the out european and asian tourists don't seem to understand terms like FISH ON, COMING DOWN, COMING UP, and other key phrases and cost me 4 fish today. :mad: :mad: :mad: The crowds are fine as long as people understand the game.
That being said this week marks the opening of the upper kenai, russian and the last weekend of the anchor being open. I should have my first limit of reds by the end of this week.
Tight Lines
WRO

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
WRO, Hey, thanks for the call up there. Sorry we didn't get to hookup. I also had a fantastic time fishing the Kasilof and also out on Cook Inlet for some Halibut.

I fished almost every day while I was there but early AM's. Injured my chest loading the boat one day and was out of action while it healed.

Maybe next time. I'll be back the middle of July for some Kings and Sockeyes for sure. Hope to see you then.

Keep them reports coming and save a few for me....

fop

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the report Outlaw. I'm heading up to Anchorage in 2 weeks. Looking forward to fishing, first time in Alaska. Hopefully my friend from Eagle River will have the bite dialed in by then.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 weeks from now I'll be fishing the weekends north of anchorage as well, big matsu kings.

FOP I tried to hook up with you but work just got out of hand last week. If your up in July we'll have to give it another shot for sure. This new rule about non residents after 6 on the kenai sucks... A couple of guys from work have been slaying them every night after work.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Hey, whats this about after 6?? Hadnt heard about that. Is that just for kings or does it include reds and silvers? Hope to connect when I arive on 7-24. I will be staying at a residence right at Eagle Rock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think that applies to fishing from a boat.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The rule on the Kenai about no non-residents fishing after 6:00 p.m. only applies to the first run fish and not the second, the rule is over on June 30th. The are trying to perserve the early run since the numbers have been down. The second run that starts about the 1st of July is a health run and it is open to single hook, bait and you can fish 24 hours a day if you wish.

Talking about the early run, it has been BERRY BERRY GOOD! Lots of fish are being caught and even some dandy big first runs.

Tight lines, Kimmer.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
WRO
Reds are fine eating salmon. Better than chinooks in my book. You working up there? Keep up the great reporting! :cool:

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am working construction up here. Reds are good, but I have literally caught thousands in my lifetime and would take a springer any day over a limit of reds. These kings up here are also very tasty. Fresh halibut is Tops though. mmmmm halibut.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
WRO, Halibut? You want Halibut!!!!!! I thought I might show ya the Butt load we got a couple of days ago from Cook Inlet.

We took the driftboats out there and rowed out in 35 feet of water and kept Halibut to 86 pounds and a few smaller and ended up keeping 16 for 8 of us.. Released a bunch of chickens too!!!

It was a great trip. We also hammered a bunch of Kings from the Kasilof that I can also post.

fop

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fishing halibut out of a driftboat is a hoot. I did it outside of Deep creek one time. I'll tyr to post some pics as soon as I get my film developed as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts