IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is soo nice to be back in the northland again. This weekend is the first weekend of chinook fishing in this area generally.. Thursday after work I hit the kasilof for 2 hrs. The rules on the kasilof have changed significantly, hatchery fish are the only fish availiable for retention. I didn't catch an unclipped springer in OR this year (even in the Wind). Thursday night I caught a 15lb nate for like 2 hours of trying. Friday night the crowds were out in force, I first thought of hitting the Ninilchik river at midnight (weekend openers on the anchor, deep creek, and Ninilchik rivers) but it was packed so I ended up going to homer and fishing the "fishin hole". Anyone who knows this place should be scratching their head right about now.. It is the only place on the peninsula that kings don't count on your 5 king limit and also there is a 2 fish limit. It was suprising good fishing.. I caught 4 on bobbers and herring and 3 on spoons. I proably hooked 10 more over the course of 4 hours. Saturday night I fished the Anchor river and caught 4 downstreamer Steelhead and lost one nook. Then I headed north back to the Kasilof where I landed 3 nates the biggest being around 35lbs. Lastnight I hooked 3 but the crackers were out in full force and I lost 2 due to idiots casting over me and #*$&#(*^$#(*^$#. 1 was my fault.
If I am salmon fishing. I generally fish from 10pm to like 5am, yes it is dark for like half of that time but damn is it fun.
It should only get better from here....

[ 05-26-2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I love fishing the Ninilchik. Nice big fish so little water. :smile: It's funny to see someone talking about all those rivers on this board. Everyone knows about the Keni but not too many talk about the Ninilchik. Are they still snagging the heck out of them in that hole In Homer? Another couple of weeks and it should stay pretty light for ya. Have fun.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there is no one there those fish will readily bite.. It is pretty much an evening bite only, when there not getting a bunch of pressure. as for the snaggers they weren't bad. There was a few on the kasilof though, but they all pass out by 11:00 or so.

·
Registered
92 Posts
fished teh Ninilchik a couple of years ago .....great time. same with the kasilof.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
wro, Sounds like you have them Kasilof Kings cornered.

I'm headed up there Wed. and gonna fish it for about 10 days.

Mornings usually and from a drift boat.

Are you fishing from the bank? If so, how do I find you if I'm out there in the evening? You are around the peoples hole?

I sure like fishing that river. Got a 48 pounder there the 1st of July last year.

How about the fin-clips? More non than clipped?

The Fishing Hole out of Homer, what a hoot. I never had the nads to try it but have had several hours watching the people doing the twitch there.

I'm also hoping to get a couple of Halibut trips in too!!!

Maybe see ya there,

fop

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FOP,
email me and we can hook up. The ratio right now has been about 5 wild fish to every clipped fish, but there have been more and more fin clipped fish caught every day. The kasilof really needs more water though, it is really low right now. I have been fishing right in the crowd there at the color line letting corks on scent sit out there. Every fish I have landed has been hooked on the inside the mouth, pink and orange have been the good colors w/ red or orange yarn. I hit it bobber fishing for a couple of hours last night, but only ended up with a couple of trout and dollies to show for it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
fop

The rules change the first of June on the Kasilof.
You can keep either fish. The May fishing is limited to hatchery but on the 1st of June nats are legal. So have fun! BTW the razor limit is back up to 60 clams per day with no annual limit. Tell us about it when you get back.

[ 05-26-2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: bigshark ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Nice job and good luck WRO. By the way, what are you doing in Alaska?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Thanks bigshark, I know them areas well. I'm not able to walk that far. Old and kinda krippled up but I still can row a drift boat.

Not interested in the Razors. I just don't think they taste as good as the ones we get here, if it is ever open again. But they make good Crab bait.

Glad to see the regs change for the 1st. I didn't know that. Maybe do some Butt fishing in May then concentrate on the Kasilof in June.

WRO, check yer email

See ya's there soon,

fop

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shark,
I think it is actually the first of july it changes. The regs are sooo poorly written here it is sick, you think oregon is bad, check out the AK regs.
FOP sent one right back at ya..
Anyone who is going to be up here this summer feel free to email me and I'll try my hardest to steer you in the right direction, I have been fishing up here as a bankie for 10 years now (lived here 5 and come up most summers to work and or fish).
Mr. Carp, I do construction up here.

[ 05-26-2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Let me clue you guys in, this is the first time in 24 years fop hasn't guided the Kasilof....don't think those fish stand much a chance. :grin:

Hey Fred have a great trip, I'll talk @ ya's when you get home in time for MadCowtilla :cheers:

·
Registered
585 Posts
WRO
I may have been told wrong. I didn't get the regs as they are hard to figure out as you say. I was also told there is a three keeper limit on the Kasilof. Again it is word of mouth but from a reliable source. You may want to check it just so your not nailed. Have a good time and save me a few. Hope to head out of here in mid July to get into the last reds for my winter supply. But, everything is iffy with this darn house selling stuff we are going through.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
wro, Hey I'm leaving tomorrow for Soldotna. Maybe hookup with you soon if we can find each other.

I'll be on the Kasilof Thursday AM then gonna head for the bed as I am flying the red eye and getting into Kenai at 1:20 AM and I have to get up at 3:30 Am for the mornings charter.

Ya might try to call me at 262-2521. I will get a cell number that PM if I can get out of the sack from fighting all those Kings.

See ya on the Ditch,

fop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts