IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two thumbs up to Chuck Thomas and Carolyn for winning the Kenai Classic "AGAIN". I'm not for sure, but don't think that any one Guide has won the Classic two years in a row- ever!
Chuck is a local, and works his tail off to give a Quality trip. Here at home on the Clack., or in Alaska, they're Quality folks.
Just wanted to kinda throw my chest out a little for some local friends thats have done a great job. Super nice folks! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BBQ when ya get home...

·
Registered
194 Posts
That great news and not a big suprise. Fished with Chuck two years in a row on the Kenai and he is a great guide with a unique laugh (hee hee).
BillK

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Chuck is a great guide and I'm not surprised he won it again. Chuck has shown me a lot and he is one heck of fisherman.

·
Registered
554 Posts
How big was the fish? Any pictures?!?!

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
How many inches did he finish with? I was fishing the two days of the classic, BUT, my guide was not in it b/c the lodge he fishes for wanted him to serve loyal clients, not the wealthy bidders. However, for two days we he would have finished with well over 500 inches, and we only released one fish, so I'm curious. Does the name Monte Roberts mean anything to anyone? He's a great guide. Catch and Release champion for "release a hog, get a trophy." TOC.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Chuck is a great guide. I won the steelhead trip with him last year at the tackle swap. He does have a unique laugh, but is a good guy. I wound up taking home a nice 3 Steelie summer run limit from the clack. A very good day fishing, and he busted his butt even though it was a free trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In response to Team Helly Hanson and the absolute incredible two days of fishing during the time of the Kenai Classic, with over 500 inches landed. The world record king salmon was 58.5 inches long. I am assuming that there were four fisherman for two days fishing only from 6:00 am until noon, below the Soldotna bridge (not on the spawn beds). If you only released one fish, as you state, and kept your two day limit of 8, you must have had some record fish.

58.5 x 8 = 468 inches
1 fish released = 32 inches
Total - 500 inches

Or maybe the keepers were just 80+ lb king salmon at 55 inches each. (Which must be registered with fish and game).

55 x 8 = 440 inches
1 fish released = 60 inches

WOW!!!! Sounds like a fish tale that will live forever! :shocked: :smile:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
With respect and congratulations to you and yours, on tuesday AM our guide had four other clients out, all of whom landed and kept fish, which made his alotted limit for that day eight, as we fished his afternoon shift, starting at noon. However, it's reasonable to expect that if he fished the afternoon with the same clients as the morning, but had released all those fish, on top of the 10% bonus or whatever it is that they get for released fish, and the fact that he could continuosly fish four rods, I'm sure he would have found the four fish he did with us. I have the picture of our eight fish and one release to proove it. Also, the second day, he didn't fish the afternoon, and we had caught three fifty plus pounders, one 35, released a 25, and were only fishing four rods for 5 mins, and were off the water by 10:30. Don't want to start a tussle, but don't want to be called a lier either. How many inches did you finish with/ do you know Monte? He's a real sportsman, he fishes the Sunken Island whole pretty religously. TOC.

Edit: Welcome to Ifish! How about starting us with the story, and pics if you have them of how you won the Classic two years in a row!

[ 07-23-2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: The Overfishin Condition ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the congrats note. You made a good choice fishing with All Alaska Outdoors. Bob and Tynna Ledda run an excellent program, and Monte is a very good and experienced guide. I know them well from fishing with them for years. For information, pictures, etc. from the Kenai Classic, you can go to the Kenai River Sportfishing Association web site. They have not updated the site with 2003 pics, but there are several pages of photos from 2002. Again, great catch from the Kenai, and it sounds like you had a great time. Hope you return to Alaska another day! :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts