IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ifishers,

I am planning a trip to fish the Kenai in July 2004. The dates I am planning on going are either July 6-9 or July 13-16. Since I have never fished Alaska before, I am looking for some recommendations on what block of dates would be better and any guides you may have fished with. Any recommendations would be appreciated and I plan on booking as early as possible.

Nibble, nibble, and yank

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi BB, and welcome to ifish! We're glad you found your way here to the greatest fishing site on the www! As is customary to newbies around here, we need a little introduction and maybe a fish story and you'll be invited in with open arms to our community here! :cheers:

Now to try and help you out a little on your Alaskan quest:

The Kenai is of course home to the worlds largest strain of King Salmon and if you're after a chance at that trophy fish of a lifetime, then that's where you need to go. And I'm sure other members will help you to narrow your search.

If you'd like to experience a little less congested area and catching fish after fish after fish after fish... And, have the time of your life with King Salmon from small to what some would consider trophy fish of over 40 pounds, then I'd like you to read these two posts by clicking these links:

The Nush!
The Nush Continued

If you'd be interested in this kind of Alaskan fishing experience, I'd be happy to help you out!

Welcome!

-Marty

[ 07-27-2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Gone Fishin ]

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
If you are going to be on the kenai the 13-16 would be ok, the next weekend would be tops. Are you looking for a fully taken care of expirience.. Guides lodging meals, or a do it yourself thing? Early fishing has a good setup. other than that i don't know any other full outfitted setups.. (threre here,) As for guides tim hiner is one of the best as well as bo's guide service. Theres alot of good ones here though.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I just got back from the Kenai after 10 days of fishing and I will recommend Early Fishing. They are from Brookings, OR. and run a great fish camp on the Kenai. 20 years there and know the fishery.

They do all the rivers, Kasilof, Kenai and even the Halibut trips from either Deep Creek or Homer.

We caught 1,400 pounds of Halibut for our group last week and had a great time. Limits for all.....

They also have a great beach for the Reds if they are in, I caught my limit every day that I fished for them. Even WillametteRiveOutlaw got his fishing with me there. lol WRO is a great fisherman.

Any questions you might have I would be gladly answer via email: [email protected]

I also got a 62 pound King and several 45 to 50's.

Yes, I have pictures.

fop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information soo far. I plan on booking by the end of August after I get back from fishing B10. I will keep your recommendatins in mind when I book.

Are fish cooked better with one eye up or one eye down in the frying pan!

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Feel free to edit this if you like Jennie, I'm just replying, not advertising. I liked All Alaska Outdoors, they have a good halibut guide, and several excellent Kenai guides including Monte Roberts (used to guide with Bo WRO). We came home with 6, 70 lb boxes of fish.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
FOP,
You only beat me by minutes getting your limt first=). It was a good time, we'll have to rty it down here sometime.
Tight Lines
WRO

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
River Bend Resort is a nice place. They're at Soldotna, right on the river and they offer lodging, camping, rentals, and guides for salt and fresh water. My cousin is a guide for them, as well as a good friend of mine runs one of their salt boats for 'buts. My cousin had a 77# king on Saturday, and I believe he boated 98 kings in July. Many (20+) over 50#. This is where Willie (Willie Boat)stays for the summer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
BB, (Erp)
I think you would enjoy fishing the Nushagak more than the Kenei, but being your first trip, if you do fish the Kenei you can always say "been there, done that".
Try cooking a flounder one eye up.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
The early run of kings on the peninsula can be pretty good as well. I landed 94 kings this season between memorial day weekend and the end of june fishing the kasilof, Anchor, and the homer spit lagoon. the vast majority came out of the Kasilof. If you wan't a fun c&r day the kasilof is great, my best day there was 9 fish for 4 hours of fishing. The anchor gets good earlier in the season (weekend only fishery). I had several 6-7 fish days there with minimal pressure.(like 6 hour trips) The key to early season success is following the tides. from high to 3 hours after are prime time at the people hole on the kasilof. The anchor will produce from low slack to a couple hours after high tide (if your willing to chase them) Warning about bank maggoting it at the kasilof though.. the crowds suck, one day I lost 8 fish due to tangles (still landed 3 fish). The guides kill them on the kasilof (i heard of a couple of boats hitting 30 fish days this season). All driftboat show so atleast that is nice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm with snit.... the kenia river bend resort....went out with their halibut boat and had the whole boat limited in under two hours 7 people....wife limited in twenty minutes....i did in about two hour but i threw back a LOT of chickens before i kept the 70 pounder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts