IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try the KP area out for gators, but do not know where to put in, cannot run far, drift boat with 4hp kicker. What is the closest boat ramp? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Fred's marine in the channel I'd say, it may be a bit closer than the st. johns' ramp. With that 4 hp kicker. You're looking at some decent amount of time to get out there, so plan the outgoing to and allow time to get out there, I'm guessing about 40 minutes of so. I take about 15 and I have a 70 hp motor. Make sure you keep an eye out for barges and ships making the turn into the W from the main channel. There is a good deep hole right off the pilings at the junction, I'd be very careful to anchor their with a DB and 4hp, make sure you can exit or move if a ship approaches, as they swing the turn pretty tight.
Good luck!
GBS

[ 10-24-2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I agree with GBS, you are going to have a heck of a time getting your anchor up and out of the way if a ship comes. I would strongly recommend staying out of the channel or any other spot with high barge/ship traffic. Things happen fast out there, just be careful!

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Stevo, Why not try the fishery? launch and go straight across to the washington side. it would only take a couple a minutes to do that with your little motor, plus a better chance to catch a keeper.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Make your fishing trip a safe and happy one, put in at Fred's and fish the Multnomah channel. There is plenty of good sturgeon water a couple of miles down from Fred's and you won't have to worry about conditions, barges, and an hour and a half boat ride. Check the edges near river bends to find your deeper slots. The channel is full of sturgeon with some nice big keepers to be tussled with as well. It's also low key and less fished. Be safe and smart :cool:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
I agree with Tacklebuster on this one. Mult channel with a DB w/4hp is the ticket. Probably most underfished area for sturgeon in these parts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you try out the Multnomah channel from Fred's, there is a really deep hole just before the channel dumps into the Willamette. I only tried the hole once too early in the season, but it sure seems like the kind of hole to find a keeper in.

If you don't mind the drive, the ramp on the other side of the island (I think it is called the Gilbert river ramp) will put you in some really nice water. I haven't tried sturgeon fishing that area, but it looks promising.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by rustyl:
If you try out the Multnomah channel from Fred's, there is a really deep hole just before the channel dumps into the Willamette. I only tried the hole once too early in the season, but it sure seems like the kind of hole to find a keeper in.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Last I was there the head of the channel at Freds did not have a Sturgeon hole. In fact there is a very shallow bar where the channel starts off the Willamette.
However, the other end of the Channel (where it dumps in the CR) does have a realy nice hole. It starts right at the end of the Island and goes up to the rock cliff (across the Channel from the Mill). Launch at St Helens and you're minutes away in fairly protected water.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There used to be a launch at the kelly point park in the columbia Slough about 100 yards to the mouth. The Launch is baracaded off now. I wish this was still accessable, it was an excellent place to lauch small boats. Just like the launch right below the Sellwood on the east side, Many launches have been shut down or baracaded off. Its too bad. The closest Free launch is St Johns, which is a ways a way @ 4hp. Fred is slightly closer and 5 bucks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Stevo if you also take Fourth Plain ave exit and head west a few miles just a short ways after the park (on the left)there is a small boat ramp down by a small marina, maybe someone else can chime in with better directions.

You could put in at high tide and its short ride up to KP or anywhere around there, dont have to be Kelly point exactally but in the general area. then when your ready to leave you can catch the outgoing back down to the ramp.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Do not go to coverts (or anywhere in the gorge) with a 4hp kicker on a drift boat. You may be taking out at Rooster Rock if you do. 5-6 knots current is not uncommon (I've seen up to 8 knots) up there depending on tide and the dam flow. Standing waves 4-5 foot are also the norm in a good stiff west wind.

You will also need a good rocker anchor with break away and a puller (lots of hang ups across from coverts) and minimum of 300 foot (500 is really the right number)of rope. You may not have enough poop with that motor to even use an anchor puller either.

The lower river is MUCH more forgiving.

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
A better bet, with a DB / 4 HP combo might be inside the Willamette; either side of the St. John's ramp or downstream of the head of Multnomah channel. There's plenty of good water and you won't have to be where you'll be in the way of commercial traffic. My first spot would be just north of the RR bridge on the east side of the river out of St. John's. Use a sounder to find the deep spot.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts