IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my daughter out after sturgeon tomorrow. Has anyone been fishing the Kelly point area?

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Scott-

No idea about Kelly Point but dont have much good to report from Bonneville. Fished a few hours today with only shakers biting, and not many of those. That west wind really messed things up. I saw VERY few fish being caught

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitro,
Thanks for the upriver report, I thought about going up there, but my daughter doesn't want to get up early, so we are going to do the shorter drive.

Time to go check the lottery numbers and see how many millions I won!

Scott

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Scott,
We fished the area on Friday and found a lot of fish. Put a nice 49 inch fatty on the boat with an ODFW tag on her. We went through about 5 pounds of smelt in four hours or so. The usual spots, you know where to go.

Chris

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris,
:cheers:
That's what I'm talking about, thanks for the report, now I am really looking forward to going. I have not fished down there in a couple of months now. I just might have to get the kid up early after all, maybe set the clocks ahead a couple of hours......she will never know! :grin:

Congrats on the fish.
See you on the water.
Scott

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well no millions for me! I guess I'll just have to find some luck on the water tomorrow. Thanks for the reports.

Scott

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
How gross is this...Hours after fishing, which includes a shower and an oil change to my truck..I can still smell the rank shad and smelt odors on my hands!

For what its worth the bite today was best on shrimp, then smelt, then gross frozen shads.....Stick to that advice and you'll have more 24 inch sturgeon than you know what to do with.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Nitro- If you are in a pretty steady bite and the fish are say 20 to 35 inches, pull anchor and move if you want to get into some bigger fish. The bigger fish seem to run together. Another tip that is worth it's weight in gold is if you are in to a smaller fish bite and the bite dies really sudden, give it a little time before you move. More times than not a pod of keeper size fish has moved in to your scent zone and the smaller ones has vacated. When this scenerio plays out, it's common to have double hook ups with keeper size fish.

Wear surgical (sp?) gloves to rebait. You don't have to worry about scrubbing your hands for two days. You can buy a box of them cheap. Use and throw away, I have gone through a box in one trip.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
TB, thanks for the tips. Never thought to use latex gloves for baiting(which is ironic since I sell them for a living).
Saturday was just tough at Bonneville. The wind really took us out of our game plan and not having good bait is a bad thing too.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yesterday was a fun day for us. We moved a few times until we found the fish, had constant action for about five hours, smelt and shad strips both worked well. If you want to know where I fished, go back in 2002 archives and look for "Punchbowl substitutes" (Thanks Pilar). I know quite a few areas on the river, but just for fun I decided to try these spots. I followed Pilar's directions for the T-6 area, finally found the fish by the green can. I have fished this area before, just not those exact spots. So it looks like Pilar may know a few things about sturgeon fishing after all! :grin:
I forgot how many pleasure boaters can be on the water on a nice sunny day. Now I remember why I don't fish Kelly point in the summer!
All in all a great day fishing with my daughter, no keepers for us, but we went out to catch fish and have fun, and that we did.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts