IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post by a person who claims if salmon/steelhead fishing and you catch a keeper sturgeon you can keep it because of "incidental catch". Any truth to that? Please post the regulations and location you got them from. This is a big fine so we should be 100% before we send people out. Thanks FF I am talking about barbed hooks and barbed treble hooks.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
No such thing as incidental catch when sport fishing. Not any different than keeping it if it was hooked in the tail. Ain't legal.

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
You would not catch me doing it that is for sure rp

·
Registered
491 Posts
Friendly fisher...don't beleive everything your read...you will surely get a ticket fishing for sturgeon with a barbed hook if you are checked.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Definitely not legal. I know of more than one person cited for keeping a legal size sturgeon while catfishing with a barbed hook.

·
Premium Member
16,600 Posts
The rule in the ocean is that you may only fish using methods that would have been permissible for any species that you have retained. It basically sets order of operations, with least restrictive fisheries being targeted first, and most restrictive last. If you retain a sturgeon, you better make sure that you only fish from then on with barbless hooks, otherwise the assumption will be that all your fishing was with barbed hooks.

-Bill

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought. Thanks guys/gals. I will send pm to person who posted it. Thanks FF

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Please note that this is true only in the Columbia and Willamette. It is perfectly legal to use barbed hooks in bays such as Tillamook or Newport, although I don't see the need for it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts