IFish.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a collection of various scents in the boat: Mike's, procure, Maries, etc. Anyone have an idea how long these keep? Are they loaded with preservative? Should I replace them every so often?

The ones I use a lot of don't last long enough to worry about, but the experimental ones sometimesare in the boat for a year or more. What do you think?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I keep mine in the cooler while fishing and in hte fridge while at home.

Some of the scents I throw away after a couple months, if they are synthetic sometimes they loose their smell.

But like you said, if they are working they don't last very long anyway.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
"..in the boat.." :shocked:

Your precious scents deserve better!

Seriously, fish oils are very unstable and degrade quickly. Food grade oils for human consumption have to be handled very carefully.

Now I know we all catch fish using the oils that have been sitting on store shelves unrefridgerated (there are couple, including Marie's that you do see in the coolers), but outside in a boat, in summer temperatures just cannot be good.

Mine are kept in the home fridge, where I can keep an eye on them.

I've also gotten into the habitat of putting the purchase date on the bottle. If there's anything left after 12 months, it gets dumped into my Mega-scent-combo-special container to use for crabs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts