IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey IFishers,

Would love to learn the best method of keeping these critters alive as we never seem to use more than half a container each trip. I have heard that rinsing them out will help, and the gal at BC's said you should never shake them (to check if they are alive for example) as this kills them. Anyone else have any tips on this subject?

TIA,

WLW

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
When we buy them a day ahead of fishing we take them home, rinse them out and put them back in the container. Also rinse out the foam pad in the bottom of the container. Keep in the fridge and they stay for a few days.
I'm told the urinate on each other and that is what kills them quickly.
Sturgeon Tom rinses them and then puts them in a larger Tupperware container with a damp paper towel in the bottom. Then in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I put them in a larger container with oatmeal in it. I don't rinse or anything just into the Oatmeal and that soaks up any byproducts. Have kept them alive this way for quite a few days.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have only managed to keep them alive for 4 or 5 days so I normally use all that I take and get fresh when I go out. :smile:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Do you deep fry or pan fry after dipping into the oat mill? :grin:

Seriously though, there was a store in Estacada 10 years ago or so when I used to fish the Clack that kept them in a small plastic container with an aerator pump inside a refrigerator. Don't know if they added anything to the water or changed it. Don't know what type or quantity of salt they used either. But they kept live fresh shrimp for a period of time. I believe it was called Estacada Pet & Tackle.

There is a store in Depoe Bay that keeps them alive the same way and they get some chemical from the shrimp supplier that they add to the water and they keep them alive for a couple weeks. I think the chemical is zipper lipped by the supplier.

Probably not practical for the average fisherman to keep an aerator in the refer.

A guide friend of mine keeps them alive at home also and will inquire as to how he does it.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts