IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I am using a Transom Saver on my 90 HP EXL Honda and I am having a hard time keeping it centered properly to distribute the weight on the Transom Saver, When I hit a hard bump or take a sharp turn the motor keeps falling to one side or the other! Any ideas beside bungy cords, right now I am using Vise Grips on the shaft that goes through the mounting assembly, however it is scoring this and it seems like their has to be a better way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes, most big tillers have a tension knob, but at least with mine it will eventually loosen up when bouncing down the road on the trailer. I just bungy the tiller to one side so it doesn't move. The way its attached the bungy actually rests on the tension knob so it stays locked down.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
What would you do if it was a forward helm steering (steering wheel)?

Just wondering what you would do different.
Never had an issue on any of the forward helm boats I've own, keeping the motor centered. Power trim or not, they've always stayed centered up, so I could rest them on something, block of wood when younger on up to current transom saver.
Would guess that if it wouldn't stay centered, you could secure the wheel, although if you had to do this I'm thinking something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I solved that problem on a boat I owned by attaching an adjustable rod like you use to connect the main to a trolling motor from a stud on the main to a stud mounted on the stern of the boat. It used quick disconnect on each end.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I solved that problem on a boat I owned by attaching an adjustable rod like you use to connect the main to a trolling motor from a stud on the main to a stud mounted on the stern of the boat. It used quick disconnect on each end.
:applause: This is why I love this site !! What a great idea !! Thanks for sharing that with the rest of us. :meme:
Might be a market. Maybe you should get with someone and lock this idea up. Maybe some fishin' money in it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.