IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody keep skate when you catch one? Quality of meat?
Curious because we got one to the boat that weighed 60 lbs I’m guessing.
Thx
Jeff

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Does anybody keep skate when you catch one? Quality of meat?
Curious because we got one to the boat that weighed 60 lbs I’m guessing.
Thx
Jeff
60 pound skate will yield about 10 pounds of wing meat, and in my opinion, it's not the scallop substitute it's made out to be. Mostly when I cut all the skin and cartilage off, I was left with a bunch of white meat with a tight grain that had very little capability to hold itself together. Flavor is excellent, texture is weird, hard to clean and the yield is very small. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
I’ve eaten it twice and think it’s bland. Good for people who don’t like fish. It’ll taste okay with a lot of gunk on it for flavor.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Last one I tried was a lot less than 60#, maybe 15#. Was not worth the effort to clean. Not much meat for the effort. We get big bat rays here and they are decent eating and a lot more meat for the effort.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Caught one in Alaska last time I was there....thought it was an absolute monster halibut...tuckered me out for sure...would pull line like nobody's business. Must have been #100+....Didn't bring it in the boat

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Caught one in Alaska last time I was there....thought it was an absolute monster halibut...tuckered me out for sure...would pull line like nobody's business. Must have been #100+....Didn't bring it in the boat
Every bigger one I've caught they pull as I reel, stop reeling and they quit pulling and the rod goes straight.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Last one I tried was a lot less than 60#, maybe 15#. Was not worth the effort to clean. Not much meat for the effort. We get big bat rays here and they are decent eating and a lot more meat for the effort.
I ate a bat ray (which we used to call mud tuna) once, but I still felt terrible, like 10 pounds of meat off a 40 pound ray. After that C&R only on the mud tuna. Skates are definitely worse.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Years ago we bought some off of a halibut boat. Worse stuff I have ever eaten. Soft and no flavor, nothing like scallops that we were told when we bought it. I think they look good on the bottom of the ocean away from my bait.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We speared one inside the jaws at Coos Bay, Mr Toads wild ride.... 90 Lbs. Ate some... Never again!!

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
I caught this one 3 days ago. The guide called it 250 lbs. I don’t know, but it was twice as big or more than my wife’s 84 lb. halibut.

BIG eye spots on its back make it look like a much LARGER beast - maybe make its predator hesitate (orca, sperm whale ?)

It took out all of our bait rigs.

CW

• Wow
Reactions: wetnet

·
Premium Member
18,484 Posts
Wife is the fish eater. Caught one once and brought it home for her to try. She told me not to do that again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Must be a matter of taste--I've always liked the meat but ones I've eaten weren't huge so maybe that's part of it.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I always though people used cookie cutters to create scallop-sized rounds, and then passed them off as such.

·
Premium Member
18,484 Posts
I always though people used cookie cutters to create scallop-sized rounds, and then passed them off as such.
That's my recollection as well. Something about being a wartime (WWII) thing.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Shouldn’t you treat site the same as sharks since they have urea built up like a shark does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
I am not sure this is true although I have heard and read it many places. The grain of the meat doesn't really run the right direction for that. If it was top to bottom, maybe, but it's not, it's these loosely held together long pieces of flesh that run along the wing. Look at the pictures above. Can you think of a way to cut the wing that would fool anyone into thinking it's a scallop? And while I think the flavor is good, it's no scallop. I am with Tinman, it's likely that this was published in outdoor life or field and stream and became a well entrenched urban legend. With all the known technology surrounding surimi (they can clearly control grain structures), I would think if you wanted a fake scallop you would make fish paste, mold it into a mold with the right grain structure, add a few drops of scallop juice, and you would have something that you could maybe fool people with or at least that they would enjoy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts