IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know anything about the Kamloops trout? I have a guy telling me that they fight harder than steelhead and his recent catch of 16 pounds took him 40 minutes to land and took a 900 foot initial run. Typical spin-cast reels can't hold that much line. I know mine doesn't. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have caught them and yes they are an awesome fighting fish, perhaps he was trolling deep water 150ft or more and maybe he had a large trolling reel that would hold over 300 yds, it could I suppose take a big run if the drag was not set right. Try Lake Pend Oreille pronounced Pond-er-ay it's near you in the town of Sandpoint I believe there is a fall derby very soon on the lake with the big fish weighing in at over 30lbs

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Kamloops has a great fishery. I agree, the fish are fighters..no.. brawlers! But it sounds to me like this guy was talking about a lake trout? I have got into big char that fight with the persistance of steel, and a few hefty rainbows too.I think its the cold weather in the winter or something, the further north you go, the shorter and stouter the fish get..football lookin things, almost seem meaner than your average fish.. I would recommend a trip if you get the chance but dont stop there! go on to Banff and Jasper national park and fish the golden trout, browns and brooks and the elusive tough to catch cutts and dollies... and of course, one of my favs Grayling! (awesome) But bring a flyrod...these fish dont often look at hardware. Northern pike will cure any anglers need for big game fish. Walleye are plentiful too. I lived as far north as The territories, great slave lake...I sure miss the fishing, but thats about all I miss. (lived through -68 degrees days with 3 hours of daylight on the worst days...never again!)

[ 10-13-2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Row Vs. Wade ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Kamloops are a strain of Rainbow originating from BC. The reason they are large (and popular for stocking) is they spawn later in life than other strains of rainbows, so they get bigger. Although rainbows can and do live to spawn more than once, it takes it's toll on them so other strains don't get as big (on average). :cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm trying to call his bluff. He trolls flies, so I guess the deep trolling is out of the mix, and since I am so biased toward my sweet steelhead, don't believe him! He says the fish is a landlocked steelhead strain trout. I have done some research on them, but haven't talked to anyone with first had experience. Oh well, the debate goes on, unless someone has some good stories! Thanks again.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Kamloops
The Trout I dreamed of as a young boy.
Forgotten for decades.
Now the best fishery south of Illiamna Rainbows.
A species this full time guide of 28 seasons chases each year when the snow still flies and the mosquitos still swim.
Kamloops fever....just less than Steelhead but the cure comes in uncrowded chill Canadian waters.
Kamloops.......a trout that is famous in Canada and now days a 20" Kamloops fights better than a 10 lb hatchery Steelhead.These Oregon hatchery steelhead put up a pathetic fight compared to the hatchery steelhead of 20 years ago.
Kamloops Country.......don't miss it.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steelheadsteve

Please don't prove me wrong here! He he. I have never fished for them and have just heard what he is saying.

I agree with you on the 10 pound hatchery stuff, some of them aren't more than a hook set and net, but some of them, ahhhhhhh.....

You think a 16 pounder could pull 300 yard of line off his spinning reel? Maybe he is just fudging a bit. Oh well. Maybe I will have to make a trip to Lake Pend O'reille this winter. Nothing like those days of just you and the river huh, no one else is as crazy as me going out in 15 degree weather. Thanks for the info and I better go catch a Kamloops!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
What is a Kamloops trout?

The lumpers say they are rainbow trout. All same-same.

The splitters say they, along with redband trout of eastern Oregon, golden trout of the southern Sierra Nevada, and Mexican golden trout of the Sierra Madre, are separate but closely related species...evolutionary groups that became separated from coastal rainbows and over time have evolved into distinct forms suited for their respective habitats.

Kamloops trout are great fish, fight & jump well, and grow large in good habitat. And they're not bad eatin' either. :wink:

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe they are a strain of rainbow from Kamloops BC. They are stocked in many large bodies of water because they are aggressive feeders, fight great, grow fast with thick deep bodies. They are becoming really popular to stock. 900' run, wow. He must have been trolling deep is my guess.
GBS

[ 10-13-2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
A few years back while floating the Deschutes I caught a Five pound Redside and on the same day
I caught about the same size Steelhead. Needless to say the Redside put up the best fight. Both hit
the same Rooster tail. It was an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
531 Posts
300 yds of line huh ?
Could a Kamloops take it ? Maybe
I believe the Canadian record is 27 lbs. or was it 47 lbs ?

Every year I get a Christmas Card form a Kamloops Trout living in a unnamed lake caliming he is 25 lbs and growing. He invites me up to catch him every year. I will go as long as I am able.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts