IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how far up the kalama river can put in? and what is the most dangerous spot on the river and the class of water? we usally do the red barn to modrow in the winter but stick to the nfl in the summer can you do the canyon? also does anyone make detailed maps for that river or any other rivers around this area that show boat launches and where small creeks dump into the rivers? :shrug: Thanks Quick Fisher

[ 05-02-2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just remember to beware of the flows. In the summer the rivetr is almost gone. Hard on the drift boat. I run it in my Cataraft. Good fishing but a lot of draging hole to hole.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does any one else have any info thanks grass hopper :cheers: Quick Fisher

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Red Barn is about as high as you can go.. there is a slide up higher that you could do if you have 200+ feet of rope... Its STEEP, I have seen trailers on that pull off where you put in. I believe its about 1/4 mile or so above red barn. Really need to go higher! I would try the NFL... Instead, pumpin more salmon\steelhead anyways...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Quick Fisher, I think there is a boat slide up above red barn a bit but that is as far as I know of DB's going down the Kalama. In the summer it gets to the point of not being runnable in a DB. Usually late summer. Just depends on the flows, no where to put in to get down the canyon that I know of, you might be able to do it in a raft but I wouldnt even try it in the winter in a driftboat.

The river gets so small and narrow in the summer, along with shallow in spots it gets real tough to get a driftboat down once the water gets low.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to all for the helpful info Quick Fisher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts