IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mmmmmm cedar plank springer. Don't worry I'm thinking of you guys :grin:

[ 04-13-2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: fish_on ]

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Please share the how-to on this...
I, too, have heard of it but never tried it.

Do you soak the cedar?
~ If so, in what for how long?

When you flip the steak,
~ do you flip the cedar?
~ leave it?
~ or replace it with a fresh one?

Thanks in advance.

[ 04-14-2003, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: pdxkevin ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I soak my cedar for at least 1 hr in water before cooking that way you get lots of steam. I got my cedar from a shingle customer of mine but you can buy cooking planks at Fred Meyer. I like to season the board with a little lemon pepper then just put the fish on seasoned the way you like it with a little butter on top. Make sure the grill is real hot first, then turn the heat down med-high and cook until done. I don't flip it, it does take longer than just putting it on the grill but boy is it good. I also like to butterfly my filets. The cedar will smoke and get black on the bottom but shouldn’t start on fire if you soak it good. Kind of comes out with a nice smoky flavor.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
fish_on
:shrug: :whazzup: Springer that Kind of comes out with a nice smoky flavor. :tongue: Smoke on a springer fillet?? What are you thinking?? :grin:

Looks Great :cheers:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smokey flovor but not smoked, it's just too good of fish to smoke. We'll save that for some old tule fall fish* :wink:

*fish_on does not and does not condone the keeping of tule fall fish. Any mention of or reference to is only for entertainment proposes. Now back to your regularly scheduled topics.*

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Spring salmon is not to good to smoke. The quality of any smoked fish is only as good as the quality of the fish you are smoking. Don't get me wrong. I love fresh springer on the BBQ but the smoked springer is to die for.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well i have been eating smoked chrome all day, so in not to houngry! :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
540 Posts
fish_on
I've got to agreeeeeee.
Their aint no other way to have your fish than planked. I hadn't heard about cooking it this way until I saw a food ad showing how to do it. Won’t go back to any other way. I like mine best marinated in teriyaki sauce, but I’ve also tried other marinades.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Stz ll
Very well said ! My opinion exactly :smile: Smoking a fish is just another way of cooking it..and enjoying it... If you think you can "smoke it" to not waste it then i'm thinking you should have let it go in the first place. :tongue:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Smoked springer can't be beat!

I used some today to make a smoked salmon quesadilla. Take a whole wheat tortilla (you can use flour, but whole wheat tastes better), sprinkle it with grated cheddar cheese, crumble some smoked salmon on it, and heat in a pan until the cheese is melted. (sour cream is optional) :dance:

·
Registered
821 Posts
fishon that just is not right showing us those pictures and not able to even taste it :mad: you really know how to hurt a fat guy or maybe just a fluffy guy's as in my case. :grin:
Looks great thanks for the teaser
Tim

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
That looks excellent! Do you think it would work on a nice Carp filet? :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts