IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from crabbing/fishing Yaquina yesterday. We jigged up a couple dozen herring.

When brining herring, is it better to have them frozen, or fresh, when starting the brine?

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you plan on cut plugging them first, they cut better if frozen. Clean out inside carefully from the end and submerge in standard brine overnight at least. Lay on paper towels for a short while and bag and freeze.

I assume you are using them for bait?:shrug:

Eating them? Ask someone else? I buy them pickled at the grocery store for that.:cheers:

Linda

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
If your gonna use them for bait, spray a cookie sheet (an old one ) with WD-40 and place the herring on it ...(not touching) and put them in the freezer until froze solid them remove from sheet and bag... This will assure that on the next fishing trip you won't have to wait till they thaw and you can cut them partially frozen like retiredgal and I suggest...If your gonna brine them to eat fresh is best and brine in the fridge overnight...:smile: Barney

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, brining them to use as Bait... NOT to eat. :D

I'll stick to halibut, tuna, and salmon for that~:smash:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When brining herring, is it better to have them frozen, or fresh, when starting the brine?

Thanks! :cheers:
I'll take a shot at your question; hope it is not too late. With Yaquina Bay Herring, my experience is that they tend to have soft skin and belly's, so I would brine them as soon as possible (i.e. fresh). After mixing up a strong salt solution, I'd add the Herring, and place them in a refrigerator for a day or so.

In posts from years past, some folks will have a bucket with ice and rock salt on the boat (I presume some seawater too), and then put the just-caught Herring straight into the bucket.

FYI - I've successfully used YB Herring a few times for Salmon, although I initially questioned the wisdom of putting a Herring with peeling skin and a gaping belly on a perfectly good hook. I believe I fished them whole rather than cut-plugged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts