IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post the other day about a season for the June Chinooks.Im interested in learning more .
Will someone give me more info . I have fished the wind river for springers and anchored below Bonneville for springers . Is the June fishing similar, the same , or different. Thanks for any and all help. id. p.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We always seem to catch a few when we are bank fishing the columbia for steelhead! Try spin glows and sharp hooks! Heres a tip! Use pinks or greens!....shakerfish!....

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im a school teacher and my summer (fishing) break is about to begin.
I have trolled herring , anchored with kwikfish and trolled with Mag. Warts for salmon on the columbia . Ive fished the White salmon River for Steelhead ( July, Aug.)Ive fished the Klik. for springs in June.. But i know absolutly nothing about the June hogs... Can you keep hatchery fish? How long does this run last? Can you catch um down river , closer to the salt??? Tell me more . id. p.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Geez, this term "june hogs" is getting thrown around alot. MGM says it. I'll repeat it. This strain of chinook formerly referred to as "June Hogs" was driven into extinction by Grand Coulee Dam. The term was derived from the fact that you could fish the Columbia in beautiful weather and catch chinook in the 80 pound range. If any one can do that now, I'll eat bait.

These beautiful fish swam up the Columbia to spawn in Canada. Ya got any fish doing that these days?

"The truth? You can't stand the truth!"

[ 06-05-2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: GoFish ]

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I gotta laugh also, my experience with june hogs is listening to gramps tell of 40lbs being average and the one that got away that was 80lbs...

·
Registered
128 Posts
The "June Hogs" may be more of a legend than anything. If the present day fish are of the same type (ie, summer run chinook), then why not give them the same name?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't think your getting what you need id. :shrug: I can't help you but was hoping for the same info. your looking for. I'm sure some out there has some experience from last year.

Any one who knows, please help :smile:

Chris

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Call em what you want but a buddy of mine named Bruce Eubanks, caught a 62 pounder and a 50 pounder in 3 days of fishing below Bonneville Dam last June when it was open. If those aren't June Hogs, I don't know what is! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Id painter, i dont see why you Bonnie would not be a good place. The action might not be as hot as springers but i am sure you will do fine if you put in the time. Seems like just about anything will work, but spinners will give you a chance at both steelies and chinook. Kwikies backtrolled or on anchor in slow water would not be a bad choice either. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Hey Guys,

id.painter didn't ask for a definition of June hogs and all the technical information that comes with it. He asked for some advice on how to catch salmon in June. The guy wants to go fishing !

I'm no expert but I do know that we achored last year in some of our traditional spring salmon spots below Bonniville and picked a couple of fish up after the Columbia opened back up. We used spinners and kwick fish. We also back trolled below the dam with diver and kwik fish.

One of them was caught by my 11 year old son who announced to the nieghborhood when got got home that he had landed a real hog that day, 31lbs. So for what it's worth the June hog run lives on in one young mans mind!

Tight lines / Brite fish / oink oink :cheers:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi James,
Bonneville is the place to do it. He caught them on Spinners around the Beacon Rock area. I saw the 62 pound fish, but not the 50 pounder. Where you fishing this weekend WU TANG?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i do most of my summer fishing at the castcade locks and i catch a fair number of chinooks and quite a few steelhead. (last summer i was there and the indians came down and started dipping and they got a 62 pound chinook) on good days you can relly get in to the fish, it is a good place to fish because if any body knows, you half to fish off the locks ( a big cement wall) and all the fish half to go threw there, and ive seen 20 even up to 30 pound steelhead be caught there and a few 40+ pound salmon the only hard thing is to fnd he depth of the fish because u dont fish off the bottom you fish at a verticle postion any where from 7 to 20 pulls you will hopefully end up with some fish.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Here ya go fellas. Post # 1000. :dance:

WHEN After the June opener thru URB Season, August 1. Adipose clipped salmon or steelies may be kept. After 8/1, then you are allowed to keep the big daddies(salmon) with fins.

WHERE Anchored in 7-30 feet anywhere from Bonneville to Woodland ( Mouth of Lewis) should be a good safe bet. I'm sure there are also plenty of places to ambush between Woodland and Astoria. Pay attention to the graph for other items that make up a successful fishing spot(currents, dips in the bottom,dropoffs,sloping bottoms, etc...).

How Spinners (size 3 and 4 blades), flatfish( t4,f7,U20,K10,X4, etc...). Attach to a leader 28-40" long, same lenght for dropper(slider). For spinners, you can design your own, or try out a #4 Blue Fox in Chartreuse. Scents can change hourly, but your basic salmon scents (herring,sardine,WD40,Anise, etc...) are a great place to start.

Hope this gets you started. Enjoy the vacation !

Chris

·
Administrator
119,648 Posts
FWF1, now THAT was a good answer!

Thanks!
Jen

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
How about k-13s, and why use the smaller kwikies? just asking.Thanks FWF1.

G

·
If you were catching ID Painter, fish Summers the same way you always do. :wink: Downsize a bit in warmer, clearer water.

Rick

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dan,

You use the smaller flat fish because there are also steelhead in the water :wink:

As far as June hogs go 62# is big, but it's only a little over half the size of a real june hog. I don't know if you've seen the old picture at a cannery in the summer? There are 80# plus fish laying all over the floor. It's very depressing to think that something as stupid as not creating fish passage completely wiped the run out.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Barnettm is correct the June Hogs are extinct. They were a race of chinook that returned to the columbia above grand colee ( never could spell that right). Anyway there may be chinook around in the summer and some may be large, as is always the case with chinook, but they aren't the June hogs of old.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts