IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The doggo and I went jump shooting in the wildlife area behind the house this morning. She didn’t get to hunt last weekend, so she was super excited today. We hiked to the first pond where I’d seen some ducks sitting a couple weeks ago and sure enough, there was some there this morning. We sneaked through the canal and up through the weeds. I could see a handful of mallards, some widgeon and a few teal. We made a charge to cover the last few possible yards before they all took off. I picked out a green head and went full send with some 3.5” 1‘s. The first shot rocked him as he lifted off the water and the second shot folded him. I use that load for the jump shooting as the shots are usually longer and it seems to work exceptionally well. The drake was an easy 40yrds. Pela was on the retrieve!

We hiked around chasing snipe. I knocked two down pretty quick, one was an easy retrieve for her, the second was mia. We searched for that one for quite awhile, but couldn‘t turn it up. I knocked one more down, then headed to the next possible duck jump. Crossing the mud flat, we found a large mylar rainbow balloon laying in the mud. In the game bag it went.
I always have my 10x42 Swaros with me and they come in handy jump shooting for sure. I glassed up a bunch of ducks and geese a few hundred yards away in a large water impoundment. I started making my way to round the water impoundment to get to their side but the geese took off to do their daily business. The ducks took flight then set right back down. I continued on my circuitous hike to make a go at them. I was able to glass the opposite corner of the impoundment from them, closer to me and saw several ducks sitting there too. They were far more approachable so I made the stalk on them. It still was a heck of a hike to get in position to jump them. It’s a real **** show trying to manage the dog, be quiet and get ready for quick action. We popped out of the bullrush and I had a Drake and two hen mallards in my line of site. They all jumped and two shots later I had two hens on the water. One was winged and took off swimming and diving. Pela ran right past the first duck that was just sitting still and pursued the swimmer. She got to it and it dove. This is the first time a duck has done that to her and she was confused to say the least. She looked back my way and saw the other duck make it’s last flap of its wings which grabbed her full attention. She ran to it and brought it to me. “Good girl, but you have another!” I sent her back out and I could see just the ducks bill breaking the surface and swimming away. Pela ran back out toward the bird but not seeing it. Then finally, I could see Pela‘s nose up in the air and she got back on the pursuit. She finally ran the swimmer down and brought it back. I’m proud of her and ashamed I didn’t (or couldn’t out of lack of knowledge) do more to train her. We make a good team, bumbling out around the marsh, securing meals and making memories.
Her shower at the end of the hunt may not be her favorite part (the look on her face says it all) but she’s gotten used to it.
I’m so stoked for the seared Mallard dinner tonight. I seared a fat Mallard last weekend then cooked some asparagus in the drippings and plated it with some rice, out of this ******* world good!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
That shower picture! That dog it telling you something for sure. Can you explain what you do with the snipe? I have seen them in range but always just let them fly.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That shower picture! That dog it telling you something for sure. Can you explain what you do with the snipe? I have seen them in range but always just let them fly.
Lead them right off the beak. . .
I made some jalapeño poppers with some that were really good. Otherwise, I pull the meat off of them then saute them in butter or bacon grease.
Honestly, there isn’t much yield there, but the dog really enjoys the hunt. If it wasn’t for having her around, I’d almost certainly not pursue them. They are easily accessible for us and they get her lots of reps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The doggo and I went jump shooting in the wildlife area behind the house this morning. She didn’t get to hunt last weekend, so she was super excited today. We hiked to the first pond where I’d seen some ducks sitting a couple weeks ago and sure enough, there was some there this morning. We sneaked through the canal and up through the weeds. I could see a handful of mallards, some widgeon and a few teal. We made a charge to cover the last few possible yards before they all took off. I picked out a green head and went full send with some 3.5” 1‘s. The first shot rocked him as he lifted off the water and the second shot folded him. I use that load for the jump shooting as the shots are usually longer and it seems to work exceptionally well. The drake was an easy 40yrds. Pela was on the retrieve!

We hiked around chasing snipe. I knocked two down pretty quick, one was an easy retrieve for her, the second was mia. We searched for that one for quite awhile, but couldn‘t turn it up. I knocked one more down, then headed to the next possible duck jump. Crossing the mud flat, we found a large mylar rainbow balloon laying in the mud. In the game bag it went.
I always have my 10x42 Swaros with me and they come in handy jump shooting for sure. I glassed up a bunch of ducks and geese a few hundred yards away in a large water impoundment. I started making my way to round the water impoundment to get to their side but the geese took off to do their daily business. The ducks took flight then set right back down. I continued on my circuitous hike to make a go at them. I was able to glass the opposite corner of the impoundment from them, closer to me and saw several ducks sitting there too. They were far more approachable so I made the stalk on them. It still was a heck of a hike to get in position to jump them. It’s a real **** show trying to manage the dog, be quiet and get ready for quick action. We popped out of the bullrush and I had a Drake and two hen mallards in my line of site. They all jumped and two shots later I had two hens on the water. One was winged and took off swimming and diving. Pela ran right past the first duck that was just sitting still and pursued the swimmer. She got to it and it dove. This is the first time a duck has done that to her and she was confused to say the least. She looked back my way and saw the other duck make it’s last flap of its wings which grabbed her full attention. She ran to it and brought it to me. “Good girl, but you have another!” I sent her back out and I could see just the ducks bill breaking the surface and swimming away. Pela ran back out toward the bird but not seeing it. Then finally, I could see Pela‘s nose up in the air and she got back on the pursuit. She finally ran the swimmer down and brought it back. I’m proud of her and ashamed I didn’t (or couldn’t out of lack of knowledge) do more to train her. We make a good team, bumbling out around the marsh, securing meals and making memories.
Her shower at the end of the hunt may not be her favorite part (the look on her face says it all) but she’s gotten used to it.
I’m so stoked for the seared Mallard dinner tonight. I seared a fat Mallard last weekend then cooked some asparagus in the drippings and plated it with some rice, out of this *** world good!
The last photo looks like she is ready for nap!! Lucky her..

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Jump shooting used to be one of my favorites!!! There just aren't many places to wander anymore. Fun day!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love the shower shot. Tried to toss my kid in when we got home from Chukar hunting. Life or death struggle.
It’s funny, I know she doesn’t “like” it, but she walks right in and sits right there like that every time. Necessary evil, I guess. It doesn’t seem like she carries a grudge over it, she’s currently curled up on the couch right next to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts