IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the "Even a blind chicken gets some corn" theme of fishing, I got this 31 lb. critter on the upriver end of Gov't. Island.

Small Alvin with a chartruese tip.
24 feet of water.
3' lead line
11AM which should have been 1-2 hours after high tide.
Sunny.

Saw one other fish caught at about 10AM. That was also on a chartreuse Alvin.

It was a small Alvin. I had it out due to slow/high tide current and was getting ready to change it to a bigger one as the current had picked up.

I guess the fish were coming through right about high tide and 1 hour down.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Brion-

WOW !!!!! That thing is huge, even without the sneaky arm extension :wink:

Good thing you ignored the graphs, and kept on fishing. :tongue:

I think it was I who told you the run should still be going strong right now :grin: , the next 10 days should be good according to my boat records from last year, we'll see how it pans out.

Again, Sweet fish :bowdown: :bowdown:

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWF1,

....even without the sneaky arm extension
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ssssh...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

It's a gut buster setting up those shots.

Brion

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Brion-

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You rule.

Is this a "live" report ??

Chris :cool:

ps- I need your photographer, those little 8 pound steelies would look great with that technique.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWF1,

Hey...you've got the arm extention down...then you zoom in so just the ends of the fish show...that should give you the...ahem...enhanced image.

One of my buddys from DC was with me so I coached him through taking the pic...but I have a clip on camera "tripod" that hangs down from the top and a remote control to take pix.

He also helped out with the net...sort of.

Brion

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Good job Brion---
:shocked:

I'll be out there a couple of mornings this week if a few things fall into place. I like that area, its been good to me this year.

That is one huge fish and should make a bunch of good meals. :cool:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
nice feesh :cheers: ........ouch on the net...... :hoboy: .....

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Husker,

Timing was perfect...when we got back the UPS guy had put my new Beckman's net on the back porch.

I got the Beckman's because they say it is treated with a "flexible" coating that is "Ideal for Catch and Release".

A lot of native fish in the current run of fish.

Brion

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
That's what I call a HOG.
Congrat's but what can one say on the net but oh well need another net. :grin:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
6horsekicker,

Keep in mind that it's pretty slow. In the days I've fished, three or four fish for the fleets (20 boats?).

The main spots seem to right off the top (upriver) end of Gov. Island.

Some folks line up right where the rocks on the bank go to sand. It's about 30 feet there.

Then a bit down river from that point, maybe 100 yards, it's about 20-25 feet. That's where I was today.

I've seen blue/silver and chartruese/silver wobblers work in that area.

Up river, just a bit past Camas, there's a bunch of folks fishing the bend in the river. I did good there a week ago using brass blade/red bead spinners in shallow water, 13-15 feet.

Another fleet downriver from Camas, right near the Sandy in the bend there where the sand bar comes way out into the river. Should be a good spot, forcing the fish to come around the point.

All this is easy access from Chinook Landing or Camas launch ramps.

Brion

·
Registered
156 Posts
Might be a stupid question but do they really make a small Alvin? I thought they just came in one size.

Nice fish by the way :smile:

Chris

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
"K" lure makes a small one...change out the hooks though.....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Congratulations on that fat fish, and thanks for another great report. Good stuff.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Brion,

You are further down river than the tip of Gvt. Is. You can see the I205 bridge in your picture. You cannot see the bridge from the E.tip of Gvt Island. I know, That's where I have been fishing. and you're not there. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lucky duck

Hmmm...on the "small" Alvin. Maybe I'm being generic but it was the smallest "Alvin" I had in the box.

The small on the right is what I was using.

Hmmm...I wonder if the location of the color has an effect?

Brion

1 - 20 of 43 Posts