IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jimmy Carl Black, Hoggemin and letsfish filled my open seats.

Troutdale didn't look too promising with 30+ MPH winds, but those died down just West of Hood River and the John Day looked like glass when we got there.

We ran upriver to the park and started trolling. I had just put my wiggle wart out and put my rod in the holder when Jimmy Carl Black said there is something wrong with my rod about the same time letsfish said, "Look at that fish jumping back there!"

Yep, "FISH ON!"

I felt a little spoiled to have the first fish on without anyone else even in the water yet. But it was a native so she was promptly released.

Just as letsfish finished rigging up and put his rod in the holder Jimmy Carl Black's rod folded over with some authority!!

Wow 2 fish on within 20 minutes of launching :grin:

Jimmy Carl Black's fish was missing all the right fins in all the right places and was quickly put to sleep in the fish box, but not before this picture captured the moment:

Fishing slowed for a while, and just as Hoggemin found beauty in a Micheal Jackson wiggle wart, so did a very mad Steelie, but angry fish make for bad company and this Steelie didn't want anything to do with us. Just as well, who needs an angry fish :shrug:

We trolled for what seamed like hours, maybe because it was....

But then....letsfish pole got slammed hard, now I have seen some savage takes, but this take is one that I will remember for awhile and so will letsfish:

The weather was perfect and You couldn't ask for better company!!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Nice fish!!! Hope they are biting tomorrow too as will be there about 6am. Still have a seat open. What color besides the jackson??

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Thanks to Andy we had a great time,Weather was beautiful the day was relaxing.
Thansk again Andy for putting me into my first John Day Steelie!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Oh that makes my mouth water, nice fish. Leave me some for next week. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Thanks for a awsome day on the river Andy. Next time we'll find a HAPPY fish for me LOL. :bowdown: :cheers: :cheers: :grin:

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Way to go fellas! :cheers: I'm kicking myself for not taking you up on the offer now :hoboy: Nice feeshies!!

-jokester

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Good job Andy

Man, it's nice to see a Steelhead again.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks for a good day on the water Andy. :cheers: ...and to getting two into their first John Day fish!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Nice Fish, I was up there to all weekend, and you couldn't beat the weather, other than adding about 10 degrees. I managed to pick up a #14 that was about 32in long, and a couple natives.

First time fishing the John Day so I was just trying to get my feet wet. Some colors that seemed to be working were the Michael Jackson, pink Michael Jackson, black with chrome belly, solid red, and some greens. Good luck to anyone heading up there...

BTW Does anybody know how far up river you can take a prop?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts