IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got back from 8.5 hours of the best overall sturgeon fishing I have had in a long time and maybe ever!

Yesterday I was sitting in my office about 1 PM trying to figure out where I was going to fish today when Jimmy Schout gave me a call to give me a hot tip...

Jimmy: "The Astoria stugeon bite is cooning me out... its off the chain"

Me: "Alight I was wondering what I should do tomorrow"

Jimmy: "You dont understand it is off the hook, cooneristic right now. You need to come now and bring plenty of carrot milk because you cant even beat them off with a stick!"

Me: "OK I gotta see what I can do"

Just then XTC walks in my office because his schedule amazingly just opened up. We decide on a whim to drive down yesterday afternoon, fish until dark, get a hotel, get up at 4 AM and get back on them today.

Our plan worked... and how!

We got down to Astoria and in the water about 5:30 last night to one of my little honey holes above the Astoria Bridge. Chris and I get our lines out and not 10 minutes later we are into fish. These fish were on some kind of drugs or something, they just did not hit the bait, they attacked it and burried the rods. Two times the fish hit so hard they burried the tips in the water so far we had trouble pulling them out of the holders!

We got 3 keepers from 5:30 to 8:30 and 11 other shorts in the 40-41 inch range. The keepers were this fat and fiesty 44"

and this fat and sassy 52" for me!

We also caught this poor guy... check out his fins... I think he is hanging with the wrong crowd!

Out of the water and on the trailer at 9 PM with 14 crazy hard fighting fish under the belt. As you can see from the pictures we were the only boat on the water. I dont know what everone is thinking but evening fishing can be great. The wind lays back down and the weather was great. We were both wearing shorts and flip-flops and had 2 keepers for the freezer. Score 96" of meat for Shane and Chris!

After fileting the fish, checking into the hotel, and eating dinner we zonked out and the wake up call came early at 4:00 AM. We were back out on the water by 5 AM anchored up and fishing. This time we had to wait 11.86 minutes before getting into fish!

Between 5 AM and 10 AM we got 4 keepers and another 10 shorts and the fish got bigger overnight!

Chris started things off with this dandy 58" fish. This thing ran all over the place and jumped clear out of the water 2 times! It was nearly epic!

Then Mr. Keeper came calling for Chris again. Unfortunately when I tried to pick him up to put him in the boat he came off. Oh well he was too small for our liking... some where around 45" or so.

My turn... When this fish hit it gave one little tap then the rod burried and he was headed for the ocean. This badboy came all the way out of the water 7 times! I mean all the way tail and all... head shaking... full of pee and vinigar! Now that fight was epic! Finally got him in the boat and I had my fattie 56!

Chris ended things right for us with another decent, but small for us 47"

Back at the take out at 10:30 with a day two score of 114" of tasty sturgeon!

For our 8.5 hours we boated 28 fish, 7 of which were keepers and 3 of those were 52", 56" and 58" repectively. We had 210 inches of sturgeon in the cooler! All the shakers but 3 were more than 40 inches and all the fish faught like heck! You gotta cherish days like those becuase there is a whole lot of not so good day in between.

We caught all our fish on fresh sandshrimp in 10'-12' of water with carrot milk sauce on them. I guess the sturgeon like that stuff as much as the salmon! We did not pick up and move anchor once either day... ya gotta love that!

Thanks Jimmy Schout!

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's awesome. I'm sitting in my office reading your post...and I'm starting to twitch! I need to get out there!

Which ramp did you guys use?

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John Day... sorry I cant give up the honey hole but there is a lot of good water out there. I did give my good buddy Tackle Buster the GPS coordinates... maybe you could buy them off of him! :cheers:

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK, I gotta ask - whats this carrot milk stuff?

Thanks,
GU

·
Registered
220 Posts
hehe...no need to give up any honey holes. :wink:

i'm noticing your rods from your pics, what kind of are they? :whazzup:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GearUp, do a search of my recent posts and you will figure it out :wink:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duckie,

They are North By Northwest 8'6" Heavy rods rated 18-30lb. I just got them at GI Joes. They are great keeper rods. Have a good tip so you can see a bite and a real strong but section so you can fight those fish! Not too heavy to ruin the fishing! Great estuary rods because most of the time we are only using 2-4 oz of weight.

:cheers:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks 5-cents! I've been looking for a set of good keeper rods. This weekend is a bust for me. So I'll plan on making it down there for the next weekend. It's too far from me to just fish for one day. I'd be wrecked the entire day if I tried that. I must be getting old!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Just curious what your interpretation of the word "immediately" means? As in "All oversize, undersize, and unwanted legal size sturgeon must be released immediately unharmed into the water."

I guess 'immediately' must really mean 'immediately after getting some glory photos for ifish'. :rolleyes:

Too bad that the next part of the regs ("Oversize sturgeon cannot be removed totally or in part from the water.") doesn't apply to all fish to be released.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Let's see, last 15 years it's gone from year round and 36-72" and now it's about 1/2 the year and 42-60". Didn't they reduce annual catch from 20 to 10 in there somewhere? I fully realize this is my own opinion but how much sturgeon can you really eat? I feel like I'm in hog heaven if I get two per year. I cannot understand the "give it to the neighbors" philosophy for a fish species we need to be careful on.

Do what you want (as long as it's legal!), just be prepared to pay the consequences...

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,310 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know. However do you fit through doorways with that over-inflated ego? :wink:

[ 05-30-2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Sweet fish guys. Can't believe folks are taking shots at you for just keeping your limit for two days in a row. It's not like you cought the last of the species. I see no problem at all with keeping your friends happy with some extra fish if that's what you choose to do. I've made several great relationships with folks by doing that and have got some great stuff in return. I'm sure none of your fish goes to waste so just forget about the haters.

Thanks for sharing your bait and water depth too.

See you on the water,
Joe

·
Registered
209 Posts
nice fish guys!! i only wish i could have been out there as well! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 139 Posts