IFish Fishing Forum banner

Jig Fishing polite way of Snagging?

6K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  Nanook 
#1 ·
I have yet to master fishing with a jig. One of my fishing partners has caught fish after fish on jigs in several different locations including tidewater areas of the Trask.I know for a fact he is not snagging because he gets hit on the drop. As he is lowering his jig with a rapid drop, his rod bends and just keeps going. Then he sets the hook. This guy doesn't cast out. He fishes directly under the boat, close along the bank in deep holes. I have never seen him yank on the upswing but lift gently. Even with the slow up
lift, he does occasionally hit a fish. With single hooks, they are easily released.

#3 ·
I was a bit shocked at your topic headline as I have salmon/steelhead fished with jigs for two years and have not snagged a fish. I didn't know it was possible with jigs. You must be fishing in areas that are absolutely stocked with fish if this is happening. Bobber and jigs are a very effective method to fish with, especially in the winter time. And especially by those who are bound to the bank.

#4 ·
I jig quite offen..The first tell tell sign of someone trying to SNAG..is a fast up swing with a then the rod tip dropping fast to the water. To properly jig its a slow up followed by just ever so slighly following the jig back down..I found a few years back if I slowed my up swing I actually stopped fowl hooking fish. The guys that are letting the jig drop with out a follow are just looking for a up swing hook up..And thats just looking for a snag hook up...

[ 09-15-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: NETONE ]

#5 ·
I believe there are two types of jigs being confused here.

One is the spoon type jig ( Crocodile or buzz bomb) used at Drano, off the Deschutes, Klickatat etc. The other is the little fuzzy jig fished under a bobber. Very different lures/techniques. :smile:

Seems some people are overly concerned about the use of
in this post. It was not pointed at anyone, but the fact that there were two different languages being spoken here. Communication breakdowns usually result in
. Don't ask me how I know this :grin:
:wink:

[ 09-15-2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

#9 ·
Stew, what Miss B Haven is sayin is correct. The jigs being used up here in the gorge snag way more fish than they fair hook ....(Nordic, Cripple Herring, Crocodile flutter jigs, Buzz Bombs etc.)....on a good day only 30% of the fish will be fair hooked.....on a bad day all are snagged.

A notice to CR jiggers, WDFW & ODFW is cracking down on snagging this last few weeks.... It has to be hooked in the mouth....not from the gill plate forward! ...and don't net a snagged salmon and bring it onboard to release....you must keep it in the water.
While I was trolling @ Drano last week, I saw WDFW ticket a dozen boats for snagging salmon....one boat from Idaho was tricketed wednesday and again on thursday....on thursday besides $500.00 tickets each, they lost all their gear and maybe their boat.

I used to jig salmon back in the late 80's on the CR when it started, but then like now on a good day 3 out of 10 will be fair hooked.

[ 09-15-2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

#11 ·
I feel like its more like three techniques being confused here.

1. Buzz Bomb type jigs - Popular and effective in the ocean, B.C., etc. The majority of the fish caught with these in tidewater are snagged. This I'm sure will be argued but this is highly frowned upon in Tillamook, and other tidewater areas etc.

2. Gitzits - tube jigs hung over the edge of the boat's gunnel very still until they feel a twitch and then the hook is set. Have never done it but I know guys that catch alot of fish in the mouth with this technique. I think this is what you're seeing at Drano.

3. Bobber and Jigs - marabou jigs polularized by Bradbury and Beaumac. Very deadly on steelhead. Never seen a fish foul hooked like this.

Just my .02 cents.

Get Bit

#12 ·
I have had the opportunity to speak with a couple of the well known guides in the past few years who helped popularize jigging for salmon around the river mouths years ago. You remember the giant crocodile lure craze when no one could keep them in stock. :rolleyes: Anyway, almost to a person they have stopped fishing that method due to the number of snagged fish. As they have stated, it can be done correctly by ethical sportsman with an acceptable snag ratio when proper technique is followed. Unfortunately, this technique seems to bring out the knuckledragger crowd that is more than happy to land a salmon at any cost. They have opted for techniques that are equally effective, yet protects our precious fishery resources.

TD

#13 ·
I dont want o bad mouth my state but it seems to me that the snagging issue is far worse up here then in other states that I have fished. I have seen people that have no problem teaching there kids the " art " of snagging. it is every where I agreee but it seems to be really bad at least on the rivers that I fish. I have seen guys with 10 foot leaders trying to floss salmon and steelhead and also seen guys with just a small lingcod jig bare justing ripping it past fish. either way it is terrible and there has to be a better way of fighting it.

#15 ·
The Croc's and buzz bombs work really well on Lings and Bottom fish. Never snagged one yet. I have snagged them on the Torpedo weights with double double hooks though. :rolleyes:

By the way- many moons back I was with a friend and stopped at the blue hole after a fruitless day of fishing lower on the Wilson. About a 10-11 year old kid was standing on the rock face at the lower end of the hole playing a fish. His dad was watching. We stood and watched him play it and eventually land it. It was a medium dark (a little brown) buck about 40lbs but it was that kids trophy and I don't blame him for keeping it. :smile:
What's the point?? He caught it on a fairly small buzz bomb, which his dad told us before the fish was up. We rolled our eyes and watched. When the fish was netted the buzz bomb was out of site down that big bucks throat. Obviousley a bite and legal hook. Not to say that the snaggers don't use em but then the best snaggers I ever saw were spinner fisherman too! :mad:

G
#16 ·
3 of 10 fair Mel. :shocked:

It's the ratio thing, just like Rapid Robert said it is, even if you are not intentionally trying to snag fish and know how to jig properly. Same with the double corkie, double hook on the bottom rig. :blush:

They always hold up the one in the mouth and say, "SEE," after ripping up many prior
to that one and many after that one. :mad:

To each his own, but you don't need to do it to catch Salmonoids. :depressed:

(Edit for clarification, I am talking about the same thing as Rapid Robert. Not all jigs and jig fishing is polite snagging). :smile:

[ 09-15-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Nanook ]

#17 ·
I use crippled herring for kokes all the time. I like it much better than dragging 6 lbs of stuff arount for a 1/2 lb fish. I have only ever "snagged" a couple fish that way (and yes, they were let go.) It is all in the technique. SLOWLY lift the rod, pause, drop fast, pause, (This is when I usually hook up), and repeat. I have used the same technique for salmon but never have hooked up. I'll keep trying when I'm bored with other things. Slack tide would be a good time to try. I think the tumbling movement with the pause is the way they work the best. Almost no way you can snag that way.

#18 ·
As mentioned on another thread, we were fishing the mouth of the Klickitat this weekend, trolling along ... most of the boats are jig fishing, basically snagging fish. We saw very few fish caught that were legitmately hooked in the mouth. Saw quite a few brought in tail first or sideways. Now most of these were Chinooks that were already turned, black and hooked nose, probably a day or two out from going belly up but still ... doesn't quite sit well with me.
Was curious how other feel about this ... out in the ocean, we use these jigs, the fish hit them and the fight is on. In the river, the guys feel a tap or resistence, they set the hook on the fish (usually somewhere other than the mouth) and drag the fish in. Is this considered sporting?

G
#19 ·
I've used bobber/jigs extensively for salmon and steelhead and have never once fouled hooked a fish. I believe you have to really try to snag a fish this way and no doubt that's what these guys are doing.

[ 09-15-2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

#21 ·
Yes, my partner and I went to Drano this last week-end. First time that I jigged... and I have to admit, it seemed like snagging for me. In Alaska, I have legally snagged fish (salmon) at the Swanson River, and the only difference I could see, is that when I was legally snagging in Alaska, I used a triple hook... Jigging we were using a single hook. But, amazingly, the two fish we caught at Drano, when jigging, were both caught in the mouth, inside-out. Although I did see others that were snagged and the fish were released....

#20 ·
Some guys that jig with tube baits are highly successful fishers. Ripping the water with jigs I cannot agree with whole heartedly. Obviously you're gonna snag fish and you will hook some legitimately. I've snagged fish just sitting there with kwikie on. Did'nt do it intentionally but that is what happened.

If they are releasing the fish then there is no foul. Yet if they are just ripping the water to intentionally snag up then I do have a problem with it. Guess you have to pick how you judge some folks out there. Pretty easy to tell the intentional one's out there.

Lot's of different ways to catch fish. All you can do is your own best. Report those that snag and keep

#22 ·
I see jigs (fuzzy)used with out floats and left on the bottom when the fish lines itself they set the hook, I see lots hooked inside the mouth. there is noway these fish are picking them up off the bottom, but I think the lead head rips there mouth upen and the upwards hook sticks them in the mouth....its a shame....I use jigs for silvers but keep them swimming with a light touch and you can tell the difference between a bump and a bite...DJ

#23 ·
This argument goes back to a statement I made a year ago..."There is almost no fishing technique that can't be made unethical." The flipside is also true, an ethical angler will work to make sure his technique du jour is the most efficient way to ethically hook the target species. I've foul hooked a few salmon. Never on purpose. I've foul hooked steelies twice too. All those fish were released. (Funny thing about the steelies, both were hooked in the mouth the first time they jumped. I guess they spit the hook and the line was wrapped around them or something. Anyway they were released.)

#24 ·
3 out 10 "far hooked". Is that with the people using the lures they way they were intended or 6 to 8 foot swing method. 30% is BS with siwash hooks and correct usage. Contact me by e-mail and I could help you make your own decisions. How about the two bit hole in a month, you know the one filled with bed springs :rolleyes:

#25 ·
I watched a guy fishing with a jig off the mouth of the Sandy river Friday morning. He was throwing his line out and then sharply raising his rod and never reeling in. No one else was catching anything but he hook several fish. I suspect not many of them were in the mouth. No one else was touching a fish. Not sure what type of lure he was using but judging from his casts it was heavy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.