IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to start jig/bobber fishing for steelhead; it's the one technique I need to acquaint myself with since it sounds very effective.

What's a good set-up? The best I've got as far a as a spinning set-up is an 8'6" Loomis, but I think it's too short. All my $$ is into casting rods/reels, so I don't want to spend a ton on a set-up, especially since it'll be a new style to me.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

G

·
My favorite is a 9'6" 1143 TH Custom Rainshadow spinning rod with a Okuma Epix 30 reel. It is a very versatile rod and can handle most situations you'll encounter while bobber/jig fishing for steelhead and the occasional salmon.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been using a 9' casting rod/reel. The reel allows easy freespooling to cover more water. A longer rod would be nice, but this seems to work OK.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'd have to agree with floatbr. I use an old 9 ft Fenwick, with a Shimano AX2000FA spinning reel. I think personally one of the things to look for in a spinning reel is one that gives you control of the bail immedietly. There are some reels that have a "quick cast trigger". I personally think they are the worst thing invented...maybe for the beginner...like 6 years old..o.k. fine...but when you cast your rig....grab the handle and are just letting it float....you need to crank it to that casting point before it will retreive the line.... Super sloppy IMHO. The reel I use holds 250 yards of super cast 10lb mono line .011 diameter...It caught me a fish on Tuesday! Oh, and on the bobber...get one that you can adjust the weight on...ie...put water in.. Great for all kinds of water conditions....

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
rola76

You can easily get by with what you already have. I used an 8'6" rod for years and still have it for when my Brother-In-law drops by. I use a casting rod with my sliding set-up and it can cast lighter jigs. I take a West Coast Float and run an in-line 3/8th-oz weight and then to a swivel. Tie about a 2 foot leader onto the other end along with your jig.

On my salmon rod I run a larger West Coast Float and a barrel sinker. Same set-up as a steelie rod but with more weight. I've used this in July on the Nehalem for summer Kings and it works just fine.

A longer rod will help a lot when you go to mend your line. So if you plan on doing some serious bobber fishing then think about investing in a rod that is from 9'6" or longer and is rated anywhere from 6-17# test.

Mark

·
Registered
391 Posts
ive been using a 9" casting rod, but i wish i had a 9-10ft spinning rod/reel instead..
yea, okuma reels are great, i bought a fina for my moms bday, and its awsome for the money!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Okuma celilo 9'6" 6-12 lb spin rod. Great progressive action for $50. I must have wiggled 20 different rods before buying this. It came down to this stick or a Lamiglass Cert Pro in similar configuration, but $50 vs. $200 made it a very easy choice. If you "need" an expensive rod, check out that Lami.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, Okuma Epixor reels rule!! I've got one on on my 8'6" Loomis right now and that's what I've been using. Silky smooth, but I want to step up to a longer rod for that extra reach.

I messed with the Celilo and it seems decent for the $$.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
fishermans' has a northriver rod. rated for 6-10 I think. I really like it, it's reasonably priced, had great length and action, and fisherman's already replace one for me no questions asked. The retail for about 80.00

·
Registered
287 Posts
It looks like the majority of the replies are using spinning outfits. I might have to give that a try instead of the casting rod. Casting lighter tackle would be an advantage.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cohoangler,

Thanks for the tip on the line...that's news to me. I might save myself a few $$ and just use my 8'6" GL2 spinning rod and Okuma Epixor for now (this will make my wife happy too!!), but switch one of my spools to a braided line.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i agree the okuma 9ft6 rods are a great rod for the money. for a higher end rod i would take a look at the rogue sh963s 9ft6 6-12 its a very nice bobber rod! I have been very happy with mine.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
What Stew said! I have the same setup. TH1143S with an Okuma Epix 30 spooled with 20# Tuffline XP. Wonderful setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Go with anything long, baitcasting or spinning. The longer the better. Line control is the biggest factor in bobber fishing. I've got a 10'6 custom built Lami and it fishes like a dream. :smile:

·
Registered
270 Posts
The best rod for bobber and jig fishing is the 10 foot Fish EagleII from Cabelas, what an awesome rod for bobber and jig, its not really limber or really stiff, just a perfect moderate action, it works well for alot of different situation, its perfect for 8lb, test, but 6lb, will work on it as well, if your fishing clear water. As far as a reel goes, I always use spinning and I really like the new Quantum Catalyst, it really smooth, but for the money Id have to say the new Pluegers are the better deal, you cant go wrong with this setup. I use just plain cork bobbers with the little orange peg, I run the line through the bobber then put the peg in where I want the bobber to be, I like to do it this way, because you wont burn or kink your line moving the bobber up and down according to the depth, it happens alot. Well good luck.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Rola,
That rod I personally recommend is the northriver.
Made by WW Grigg. They only sell them at fisherman's Marine. The model is NR902LS 9'-0"
6-10lb 1/4-5/8oz. It's a good all around jig rod, and although some guys like a 10' plus rod, it will cast spinners and bait well too. I alos like the convenience of being able to exchange it it it breaks for some reason, like when I stepped on it! Alot of good recommendations here. Good luck
GBS

[ 04-28-2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts