IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anybody could tell me what kinds of spoons,spinners,plastics,or any kind of artificial lure a guy could use to catch silvers from the jetties? I have always used bobber & bait but one would think there are some alternatives?

·
Registered
601 Posts
buzzbombs work but watch out for the rocks as your working it in or its bye bye lure.

bobber and herring is the go to :cheers:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks driftphish, but it seems to me that those little buggars would hit a spoon or krokodile or something flashy in chrome? Anybody else have any input?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Herring is the best. Ive tried spinners before with no luck. Ive seen people use herring without bobbers and slow retrieve, quite effectively. Its easy to snag the bottom though. The jetty gets good around the same as B10. It should be good. Itll be 5 bucks to enter Canby this year.

·
Registered
814 Posts
O.K. dude,
Here's the skinny on silvers from the North Jetty at Fort Canby....
A good stout rod loaded with 30lbs test or larger. I use 50lbs, tuff line myself combined with a Kenai Killer meat stick. The reason for the pool cue with guides on it is turning the fish and not letting them get tangled into somone elses line. Plus, off those rocks it's not east to shuck and jive on them like a dang mountain goat so this way you can tell the fish "NO" with some authority. If you were in a boat I say go with lighter gear. Nuff said.
Use a 24"-30" 40lbs test clear mono leader with two 5/0 gammies tied soild on there. Then on top of the slide down an RSK or one of those herring helmet deals that you poke toothpicks through to make the bait stay in them. Ok, now get one of those Luhr Jensen "Herring Rigs" with the Chartruse and lime green blade or the one that's half brass and the reset is painted chart/blue tip and take all the components (beads, blade and clevis) and slide then on top of the bait holder. I then tie on an ounce and a half to two ounce trolling sinker. Cast and retrieve this like a lure. It's heavenly! Your bait spins the spinner blade spins the fish just can't help themselves! I hear this similar setup work really well from a boat to (minus the harness maybe using a cut plug) Reel fast when you star getting close to the rocks or you'll loose the whole enchilada. You can vary your depth by allowing it sink. Count it down and pay attention to what depth they are then WACK'EM!
I know this sounds absolutely rediculous, but trust me man. Two years ago when they opened it up to 4 salmon a day (this was the wknd after Labor Day)? I climbed back over that jetty with my limit of hatchery silvers in two hours. My gunny sack must've weighed 70lbs. It was like I was passing those herring rigs out after hair cuts. Everyone wanted one. I gave them away just see others catch fish too. The people around me with bobbers as far as the eye could see had only caught one fish all day. I gave then some of these set-up and BAM! instant fish! It was like cat nip or something. I got down there around 1:00 or 2:00pm, just kinda mosied on down to the beach and SPANKED 'EM!
***A disclaimer****
This has not happened to me since...But when it did, It was as though the skies parted and the angles wept....(insert sound effect for choir of angels here)
Use a whole herring, cast as far as you can and slowly reel it back in. The bait harness is necessary so that your bait would just fly off when you cast. I imagine if you let it sink a ways down you'd get into chinook, but you also risk loosing your riggin'.
Give it a try,
Ragnar

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the heavy gear.. Tried the jetty once, had a really nice silver hit my herring right at the rocks, then take off toward the shore like a bat out of h.. and under at least 20 rods.... I broke it off...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts