IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've drifted the sandy and I know the upper pretty well,but I have my sled now and I was gonna run up from chinook landing on sunday.I've never really seen the mouth up to lewis and clark is there anything to worry about??And which side should I stay to to run up the mouth??This is my first time taking my sled up any river so the help would be great.thanx.... :grin:

·
Registered
54 Posts
justcastn,

I took my jetboat towards the mouth of the sandy last fall, I think the mouth is split into 2 or 3 small streams. I was in the columbia and went towards the sany until the depth was less then 2 feet and it appeared to be getting more shallow, so I turned back.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It all depends on the water level. Right now you should be fine above the pilling hole for depth on the sand bar. Above the I-84 bridge and below the R&R bridge there is a lot of large boulders just under the surface, but they are very visable and easily avoided. At the current water level take the left fork above the R&R bridge into the Lewis and Clark ramp pool, the right fork is deeper, but there is a dead-head that you are sure to nail if you don't know exactly where it is, and you will sure to :mad: the plunkers in the shack on Sunday morning.

Becareful and safe!

[ 05-30-2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey,

please don't take your sled up the sandy unless the river is running a little high. This time of year it is not even close.

" Wow, look at the osprey! There's a mama merganser with her babies. Wow, I can't believe there's such a beautiful place so close to Portland!"
" Yea, it's a designated 'wild and scenic ri...WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, that jerk just blasted through the slot we're trying to fish!!"

Welcome to the lower Sandy!!

Ed

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I wasn't thinking about going to far up if it's low,maybe just to the deadline where you can start fishing from the mouth.I heard from a friend that it was hot there.Thats not to far up is it??Thanks andy and webdog..I m sure I won't bug anybody going just to there??Would I??

[ 05-31-2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Justcastn,

Sandy is pretty shallow but jetboats can go up to the Stark Avenue bridge. I wouldn't do it with mine because I don't know the river well enough and I've fished it a few times but folks do it.

I think your original question was how to get in the mouth of the Sandy. That changes with the water level.

There are two basic ways in from the Columbia. Straight in...it's shallow...and not perfectly straight, go slow and you should make it. Mark it well and you can then get up on plane and scoot next time.

Another way in is on the right side near the shoreline (as you are looking up the Sandy from the Columbia) but some big snags over there.

Again...go slow...mark it and the you can scoot after you mark it.

Water level is key. Water is way up right now. As the water drops, it becomes a high tide only situation.

Brion

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brion,I will try that tommorow.That seems to be the safe way to do it!!Thanx again!!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I just got back from the Columbia and by the way they are dumping water over the Dam, you will have at least 4 feet of water every where at the mouth.

As for running sleds on the Sandy this time of year, you cannot make everybody happy. All you can do is be as courteous as you can. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
justcastn,

BE CAREFUL...in going up the Sandy...there are pilings, stumps, rocks, logs just all over the place.

Fished it a couple weeks ago. Looking over the side and huge piling just below the surface. Jack knew right where it was but I was thinking it'd have skewered myself on it.

Go slow...mark everything carefully.

You got a lot of good advice in the previous messages.

Brion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts