IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jen, in your notebook posting the other day you mentioned using a new hook extractor that Bill had bought from Cabellas, I believe. You said that you were both pleased with how well it worked.

I looked in one of my Cabellas catalogs and see two: the black Rapala Hook Remover [with lanyard] [$22.99], and the stainless steel Hook Extractor that is not pictured with lanyard [$26.99]. Did Bill buy either of these two, if not, please provide a little more info on what to look for.

I have a new needle nose pliers w/lanyard that I just bought, but if this product you spoke of does better than pliers in removing hooks from thrashing salmon, I'm all ears. We [Team Moose Drool] tried the wood dowel w/cup hook device at Sekiu and went back to pliers and Leatherman tools, but some of these were lost in 4-5 days fishing/catching.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

[ 10-06-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Born to Fish ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I would like to clarify that I did not lose any pliers overboard. Either did Born to Fish. Hmmm who did? :grin:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I can't for the life of me find the post that Gary K made on nets for natives. I posted a pic of it, but...oh well.

There are two sizes. We bought the big one for salmon. The Hook Extractor from Cabelas is 26.99 and the item number is WP-01-1776. Size is 15 inches.

Coming from someone who once had a chum salmon attached to a hook that was also attached to his palm, I can tell you, he really likes it.

It's sturdy, too. The older ones rusted away and were a bit flimsy. These are built to last.

Jen

·
Registered
199 Posts
Real men drop their leatherman overboard. How else do you justify the upgrade every few years. I'm on number 4 now and I can proudly say that my leatherman tools are well placed. One in Anderson Creek, AK (Chinook). One in the Atlantic Ocean off of Islmorada(Shark) . And the last one in the Straits of Juan De Fuca(Coho). Not a bad spread.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Gary, have you called Tim Juarez? I think he has a Beckman like that. Not sure, but worth a call. I'll e mail you his number, if you are interested.
Jen

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jennie and Gary, thanks for providing the information on the hook extractor.

Joe, I was trying to be sensitive and not name names, but since you let the cat out of the bag, and since Jim pitched in with his confession, lets see how the count went during the Sekiu Silver Slaughter:

Jim - lost his Leatherman :depressed:
Adam - lost his Leatherman :depressed: :blush:
Rusty - believe someone, of the two above lost Rusty's Leatherman. :blush: :blush:

Dean saves the day when he joins this crew and provides two needlenose pliers to help get them through the remaining two days of fishing. Guess this can be added as the final chapter to the Team Moose Drool Sekiu Report for 2003.

It will be interesting to see what new equipment shows up in the boats during the 2004 expedition, but suspect that whatever it is it'll have a lanyard attached. :wink:

Jim, I know that this is an entirely different story, but do you now have lanyards attached to your downrigger cannonballs when you fish the Reach? :grin:

Jim, I'm envious that you've lost Leatherman tools in such great locations....that ought to count for something. You're a real class act my friend.

Dean

[ 10-07-2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Born to Fish ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts