IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a little info on the drift from Jefferson to I-5 or possibly farther. We have all day and it's our first time on the river so anything to be aware of and holes to hit would be greatly appreciated. We will mainly be targeting springers Back bouncing/trolling. Thanks Jon

1,382 Posts
I have fished that area a few times there isnt much to worry about that I remember there is an island you have to stay to the right of unless ya want to drag yer boat. right below the island is a hole with a rock bluff on the left the top end of that hole is great for diver and bait I have pulled quite a few out of it. if you go below I5 you have to drift clear down to beauna vista on the willamette not sure if it can be done in a day or not on the oars I usually fish that area in a seld as do a lot of people so yer gonna have to dodge sleds to get holes

·
Banned
51 Posts
Warning: Picked up a bunch of floating tackle from a drift boat that capsized and went under on that stretch of river...just 2 weeks ago. There is a bend where a couple of cottonwoods have slipped down into the river. The driftboat hit those trees. Everyone got out alive, but as far as I know, the driftboat is still MIA.
As for fishing holes.... gotta find those yourself.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, every little bit helps and is greatly appreciated. Any more specifics on the logs would be appreciated also. Jon

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have drifted that stretch probably 15 times. It was the first drift I ever did in my driftboat as a raw beginner. We made the mistake of going to the left of the island (had to drag the boat) but otherwise made it just fine. Once I drifted it at 7 foot reading at Jefferson and that was to much water for safe anchoring. I like to run it when the gauge at Jefferson is 5 feet or less. I have not run it this year so don't know about the tree issue. Might see you out there this weekend!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The island that there talking about used to be owned by my family. It became an island during the 1996 flood. Still some debate on who owns it now. :smile: They are right though, stay to the right of it. I was down there yesterday in my sled and went down below the bluff. Didn't see anything to be to concerned about. Good luck

--Phishin Phool

1 - 6 of 6 Posts