IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,055 Posts
It may pull it, but what about when it is getting pushed from behind going downhill?

I used to tow my 19' NR Sportster with a Jeep TJ Wrangler...it could do it, but it wasn't a lot of fun.

I'm guessing that boat weighs in around 3500 - 4000 lbs...the Cherokee should have a tow rating of 6500.

Doable, I guess.

· Registered
156 Posts
I will share my experience's with relatively light weight, short wheel base tow vehicles that are towing long trailers with boats on board. While you can move the rig in a straight line it can be real uncomfortable when you enter a curve. The boat will push the tow vehicle, inducing oversteer. Add a application of brakes to the equation and the whole unit becomes hard to control. This gets worse the higher the speed and the more weight that you add to the boat. Make sure the brakes on both units are in good shape
and you have a good brake controller. Also make sure that the jeep is equiped with a trans cooler if it is an automatic. You can do it, it just isnt as much fun as having
a tow vehicle that is made to pull like a good half or three quarter ton truck. I use to tow with a full size blazer and I had a few high pucker moments. Good luck.

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike,

The way your Jeep squats now, I think a bigger tow rig(bigger brakes, longer wheel base and more mass) will be needed for safe trips to the coast.

Good luck on the new boat :cheers:

· Registered
903 Posts
My Pal bought a 21' Riverwild, dual axle, 4000 ish pound setup with the same tow vehilce you are speaking of. All it took was a drive from here to Eugene and up for sale went the Jeep.
I am sure the boat is within the CGWR, but you can check in your owners manual.
BTW, trailer brakes are required on that trailer, so I assume it has brakes, per the other thread question?

· Registered
274 Posts
I tow my 22' Intruder with my 2005 Jeep Gr. Cherokee 4.6L without any problems! The trailer has dual disc brakes, and I swear it stops better than when I was towing my 18' SVLT.

I was woried when I first bought the boat, but now that I have towed with it for a while, I have no complaints!.

SA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.