IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I\'ve got an albacore, now what?

A friend of mine gave me a 20# albacore and I'm not sure what to do with it. Not sure whether to can it, fillet it and fry it, steak it and bake it, or??? Any suggestions?

ORS

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Re: I\'ve got an albacore, now what?

I like to soak mine it in soy sauce & hot sauce for an hour or two then BBQ, best fish I've ever had.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Grill the back straps or cut up for sushi (if it is nice and firm), smoke some, too.

Belly meat is good for smoking or canning, but it's pretty greasy so it's not usually real good for eating fresh.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts

O-Redside, Try cooking some very simple the first time you try it. After it's filleted cut pieces across the grain at a slight angle an inch to inch and a half thick. Season lightly with granulated garlic, salt and pepper only, let it sit for a half hour or so, a bit of real butter in a pan heated good but not browning yet and sear on both sides 'till just barely past raw in the center.

Man oh man, if that isn't the best thing you've ever tasted you don't really like fish! I tried the teryaki thing and it seemed to hide the delicate flavor of the tuna too much.

Good Eats!

Smj

·
Registered
89 Posts

Suggestions:

1. Pressure can it in pints
2. Smoke it the same way Salmon would be done. Excellent!!!
3. Cut steaks about 2 inches thick, wrap with bacon, bbq and glaze with Yoshida Gourmet Sauce. MMM.MMM.good, what time is dinner?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

After filleting the fish,I cut the red meat off and throw it away it doesn't taste very good.A while back i had a web page for filleting Tuna
but for some reason i can't get it to come up.Maybe if you do a search you can find it.
Bob

·
Registered
5,813 Posts

You can drop it off at my house. :wink:

Enjoy it! I had some of Capt. Kujos smoked albacore this weekend and it was out of this world delicious!

EK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts