IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Elk and Sixes rivers are still kicking out lots of Chrome. Bob caught this one Saturday on a Kwikfish and after a long battle we got it in the net. After we landed it we noticed it bent one Gamakatsu hook and broke the second hook. Fish like this will put your gear to the test.

:cheers:

· Banned
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob was the only person fishing that day with me and he caught the big one and lost one more. I'm sure on Saturday there were a lot of fish caught on the Elk. I saw two boats limited and most boats had at least a fish or two. It was crowded but most of the guides seem to work together and weren't anchoring in the holes from what I saw. :cheers:

· Banned
1,409 Posts
Before the motor rules changed on these two rivers, they were an excellent place to get late chrome. The rules are 25hp or less from 101 down. That eliminated almost all boat traffic on the lower Elk. The last takeout is at 101 and the best water is belwow that. Yes there are lots of excellent holes above, but 50 drift boats a day pretty much packs all of them. I used to fish the lower Elk in my sled and have 30+ fish days backbouncing and bobber fishing. The locals put a hault to that with the new motor restrictions.
It is almost impossible to get back to the ramp with a 25hp, due to the shallow waters. When we fished it, you might see 1 or two other boats. You could use a drift boat, but your takeout is the ocean and it is not a place to be at high tide. It really is not an option now. Seems like more and more places are losing water for motor boats all the time. Funny how Oregon had three times as many lisenced motor boats yet, very limited areas to use them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.