IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emergency Limits Imposed on Trawl Fishing

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- Regulators imposed emergency limits on West Coast trawl fishing because groundfish stocks remain depleted despite drastic restrictions imposed last year.

The Pacific Fishery Management Council voted Thursday to impose emergency limits that could cut earnings from the already struggling fishery in half, industry groups said.

The cutbacks come just seven months after federal fishery managers sent Oregon and Washington fleets reeling by closing to fishing the largest area ever off a U.S. coast.

Thousands of square miles off the West Coast were put off limits to protect canary rockfish and eight other overfished species targeted by nets dragged across the ocean floor.

The value of the fishery has plummeted during the past decade. Sales from Oregon's groundfish fleet dropped to $14 million last year, down from $34.5 million in 1995. Its estimated economic contribution to the state fell to $26.4 million in 2002, down from $59.3 million in 1995.

The latest restrictions follow new evidence that the numbers of fish unintentionally caught in trawl nets could be as much as four times greater than previous estimates.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I like it. You will pay more for your fish an chips :shrug: But I bet you will see a lot more salmon in the river due to decreased inc. catch and bigger fish due to better feed. :smile:

God is God and I am not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts