IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was invited to fish with my friend Steve Olsen for some shad on the Willamette on Sunday. Steve told me all I have to bring is myself, he'll have everything else. We achored up across from the Clack where we proceeded to get into some nice shad. We were there, oh I guess for an hour and a half when I hooked into what I thought was a really nice shad :whazzup: . At first I thought that my lead was hung up, but I was still feeling a bit of a head shake going on. After about three minutes I told Steve that we should throw anchor, as this "thing" was starting to go back down river :smile: . At this time I got wraped up with someones diver and he noticed the time I was having so he cut his own line and yelled to me not to worry about :wink: . Well I guess there must have been about 50 to 60 boats down from us when we to start zig zagging through them. Now I must say at this time people were really taking notice of our adventure and they were pulling in their lines and even a few pulled up anchor and moved for up :cool: . About 15 minutes into this a guy in a black boat asked if we had a large net, we told him that we were shad fishing so we didn't have a REAL net :shocked: . As we continued to get draged down river, here he comes with his net. He passes it off to Steve and I'm breathing just a bit easier. By now we are below the last line of boats and about 20 minutes into this. I figure that at anytime the 5lb leader is going to pop or the little grub hook will straighten out and that will be a big O WELL.
O.K. so right now the Fish Gods have me lay into this one with the notion that this is do or die for both of us. Well the first flash was a heart pumper, the second flash made it beat even harder and faster. As it finally came to the top, Steve gracefully netted the 22lb chrome salmon and bought her to the boat. We checked for a fin,, and IT WAS MINE :grin: . As I straightened up I looked up river and saw almost everyone standing in their boat clapping and yelling. Man, I tell you that was cool! :grin: When we got back to our starting point, I offered to pay the guy for his diver. He stated " It was worth the entertainment" and not to worry about.
I would like all the SPORTSMEN who made way for us and to the guy that handed off his net.
You all really made my day, and I THANK YOU :grin: And to my friend Steve a BIG THANKS!

[ 06-02-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Seefood Man ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Great story thanks for sharing :dance:
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Way to go on the fish!! :cheers:

This Steve wouldn't happen to be a Lake Oswego Fireman? If so Steve is a good guy.

Thanks for the story!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Yeeeha those salmon and steelhead are a hoot on shad gear. The best fish fight have been on shad gear amazing what you can do with light tackle with a little finess. Great job and many more light lines to you Seefood man.

HOGGEM'IN

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Super story!

We had this happen last year, but lost. A friend of mine hooked something big while shad fishing near the falls in late June. We didn't want to pull anchor, did not have a big net, and my friend who hooked it did not have a salmon tag. It spooled him of 10 pound test. He gave it to me to fight for a while, and I was able to get it turned. It started back upstream for a couple of minutes, made some head shakes, and departed again for Astoria. Bye Bye fishy. I'm not sure if it was a salmon or sturgeon though.

That's ok, we caught a boat load of shad, and then we used the shad to catch a boat load of crab on later outings.

If you go crabbing, shad is the way to go. With shad, you'll catch 2 to 1 crab against mink, chicken, or turkey in my opinion.

SKP

·
Registered
105 Posts
Outstanding. We are hitting the shad again on Thursday. I will have a real net tucked in the boat. Thanks and great story.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Great story, congrats :cheers:

We've had similar things happen while walleye fishing, you just never know :wink:

[ 06-02-2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
Nothing like big fish on light gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts