IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new product put out by Berkley that fits on your line and holds scent or scent gel. It's like a little cage that releases the scent through small holes and has a small glo-go type spinner that fits above it to "fan" out the scent. Very ingenious and would work well in lots of applications I would think.
Is something like this legal?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I bought the same scent feeder that you speak of. I was going to mix my ulta bite with a gel based scent and pack it in there. Havent used it yet and was wondering the same thing.

Jfool :shrug:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
From your description Stew, I don't know why it wouldn't be. It sounds like it would be a great drift fishing rig for steelhead.

Have you seen them locally? It sounds like something I would be intrested in looking at.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't be. We smear scent on a Rag or the yarn of a drift gear. They both hold the scent also just like your new contraption. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Rebell, I got mine at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Portland.

My question of legality is if I used it say in front of my spreader for a scent trail. I wouldnt put it down by the bait as it may foul up the action of the plug, spinner, or herring.

Jfool

·
Registered
342 Posts
I seen something like this at bi-mart today but it was the body of the rooster tail instead of the weight they usually have.It was advertised as a scent holder lure I forget the name of it though.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
A freind was building something sorta like this at work awhile back out of ear plugs and mylar wings. Don't know about the legality but courius about how it did.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do you remember when Bill Monroe posted the question about what to do with old IV tube then used the answers in his Sunday column. I posted pictures of scent holder that I had beem making out of IV tube and beads and using on my line above my lures.

This new scent holder sounds a little like the scent holder that I make with some improvements....hmmmm...anyway I know that they will work.. :wink:

Can somebody post a pic of this new scent holder?

I've never put a Glo-go or birdy near my scent holder to help disburse the scent but it sounds like it would work....W.A.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
As long as it is attached to your line it is not considered chumming and is perfectly legal.

3,877 Posts
Stew,

Where did you pick those up at and if you could, could you display it with your drift fishing lure of choice whether it be a corkie, birdie drifter, or other set up.

What I would like to see is the size compairison to your drift lure.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will use this with a pink worm drift set up. The actual device is about 1" long.

[ 09-16-2003, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
I recently learned a new scenting trick - it seems to work pretty well. Use the cylindrical-type ear plugs, soak them in your favorite scent juice and thread one one the line just above your rigging.

My .02

OregonRedside

·
Administrator
119,602 Posts
How bout string some thick yarn through that IV tubing?
Added color, and more scent holding!

Jen

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
One note, Idaho considers Powerbait and scents of all types "Bait". Therfore lures of this type aren't legal in "Artificial flies and lures only" waters. Don't know about Oregon and Washington...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
someone once told me to stuff some cotton in the tubing that holds the hook straight on my big water spinners. i guess some old timers use that trick when fishing for salmon in the hog lines.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i bought a pack of them too. Will be interesting to see how they work. Hope to hear of some fish being caught so I know how you did and where. Of course if it isn't to zipper lipped.

Cartman

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I use a similar idea while sturgeon fishing. I took an old style split shot holder (the plastic kind with a slip on lid), drilled a hole in both ends, ran a string through the holes with a split shot on the end(so you can loosen the cap and put cotton with scent inside), I also drilled several smaller holes in the sides of the tube to allow water to go through and flush the scent out. I put a swivel on the end and attached above my bait. I have seen one other similar set up only the guy used a casting bobber (the kind you fill with water), and drilled holes in the side for the water to go through. These work better than my set up, but I already have about five of mine made.
Good luck,
Scott

1 - 20 of 25 Posts