IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son took this (poor) photo about ten days ago on the W in the Oak Grove area. I'm not sure what the animal is that is eating the salmon carcass. Saw it about 7:45 AM and got to within about 15 ft of it in our boat. Obvious member of the weasel family. Was unicolor (brown) and shiney. About the same size as my friends pet ferret, but definately not a ferret. It would take some bites of the fish and run unfer nearby rocks and come back for more. Left it still eating after about 10 minutes of watching it. Also looked like it had a bite out of its back although you can't see it in the pic. Sorry for the blurry pic. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Mink

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Yep that is a mink. I used to work on a mink farm as a kid. If you think your job is bad......

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I thought it was but I've never seen one before. Now I have. It's amazing what one can see at the river.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Definintely a mink!! If you were downwind, you could tell by the smell!! :smile:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Liv2fish is right about the smell when I was a teenager, I worked at a resort in northern michigan, and a hole famialy of the little basterds, made a den under the poorch...I had to climb under there and clean that mess out...I stunk for a week. it was worse the a skunk and I have been sprayed by one of them too...

·
Registered
532 Posts
hmmm given the fuzzy details in the picture, it may be the 1st reported sighting of a sasquatch-- but other experts have agreed--- on mink.. i think it's open to discussion though

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Cool critters, I see them on the Clack quite a bit.
Last year I saw one with an old salmon carcass and an otter came out and bullied it away from him.
The mink ran away and re-appeared with two buddies and kicked the otters' butt and proceeded to feast.
Too bad National Geographic wasn't there, very fun to watch.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
How can you tell the difference between a Mink and a Nutria. You know the Mink look a like that was introduced to the this area way back when.

Fishalot

1 - 20 of 30 Posts