IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I dunno. What are you using it for? For 50 bucks, buy an Abu 5500/01 new. Do pick up some of the fishermans glue at Moonlight. Good stuff on the braids.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with flatfish. The Abu 5500 is the best reel you can buy for that amount of $$. If you want to go a little higher quality, think about the Calcutta. This is the reel!!! However, I own both and the 5500 series is just fine.

DLB

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I agree with Flatfish and his middle aged dog! :grin:

Hard to beat the Abu 5500 series....

For a few dollars more, you could move up to the 6500 C4, but it all depends on what you're fishin' for....

In my (limited) experience, they're all good reels.....

But for the most silky smooth drag, go with the Shimano Curado 200 BSF.... Definitely My Favorite!

But that's just me... :wink:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
As with the previous post, spoil yourself and get the Curado if your budget allows. It's sleek and designed to be as badass as any traditional knuckle buster out there ( only much easier to use ). And the new non-mono lines compensate for any issues concerning spool capacity. I have a 4500, 5500 and 6500 and the Shimano can pinch hit for any of these reels on any given day.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I've got two of the model that is a step down from this reel. Pretty bombproof. Outcasts all of my 4501's, 4601's, and 5501. Think this one is a steal at that price, but I need new raingear for my trip to Fairbanks.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

I need another reel for kokanee fishing. Since I use it primarily with my downrigger I like to have a thumb bar spool release. I'll check into the 5500 to see if they come with a thumb bar release.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Stew,

I don't own a Nitryx, but I do have an Okuma Epixor spinning reel (10 ball bearings) and a Titus leverdrag reel. Both are high-quality reels at a very reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Okuma.

G

·
I took a look at Okuma's new baitcasters called Nitryx and from outward appearance they look like a well made reel. They run about $80 and have two sizes with both being RH crank :depressed: . Has anyone acutally bought one of these reels? What do you think of them?

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Nitryx was the reel I was shopping for when I came across the above deal. Seems like a good reel to me too. I found a few on line reviews and they were positive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts