IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always done the Dabney to Lewis and Clark drift during the spring. The flows have never been this low. Is it safe to float at these flows? Its currently at 8.24 ft, 671 cfs.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
i did the dabney to L&C in low water as my first ever time on the sticks in moving water putting in one place and taking out another (did the meathole on the lewis first but never lost sight of the ramp). here's the story. the schutes are really narrow. you'll be really close to the bank and brush and overhanging branches in more than one place. some places, you'll have to get out and drag the boat (or maybe it was just my novice water reading skills). you'll row a lot of frog water. the biggest problem for me was having to row forward to get into the moving water and then slow myself when i actually hit the slot. more than once i dug the sticks in and got pulled clean off the seat. i wouldn't do it in an aluminum boat at these levels.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Done it lower than that.Piece of cake.Even ran my sled at 8.5 Probably wouldn't do it again that low though :shocked:

[ 10-13-2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Mid 8 foot levels are you kidding me???
No problem, might have to walk the boat in several spots but I've done it in the aluminum in the mid 7 fts.
The run below the boat ramp can get bumpy, Burns Hole down you gotta be carefull due to trees on the right bank but other than that it is a breeze.
Go get em' !!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. With the river dropping below 8 ft, we decided to to bank fish. This was our first trip targeting Sandy Silver. We went 2 for 5 in addition to several missed hook sets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts