IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If everywhere became C&R and we couldn't retain anything, how many folks here would find something else to do?

·
Registered
609 Posts
So far the pole is even steven. I for one would fish occasionally, maybe less than I do now and would probably take up bow hunting for elk & deer.

It's that hunter/gatherer/predator genetic code in me. I like to consume what I catch/kill.

Full Freezer

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about that, I'm new at this poll thing. I'm trying to see how many folks here REALLY need to fish for something to bring home, whether it is to eat or show somebody.

Kevin

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would probably unload most of my boat-fishing gear and become a fly-fishing purist and focus more on bird/big game hunting. If this state went totally C&R, I would probably abstain from purchasing a lisence for some time. I may even consider moving to a state where it is not C&R.

My 0.02

OrRed

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I considered starting another thread without a poll because I botched up the original and probably turned some folks off. What started this idea was, a couple years ago we had a family deal at Toll Bridge Park in Parkdale, a great chance to fish my old "fishing grounds." So I took my non-bait set-up, having checked the regs. As it turned out, I was the only one that intended to fish the Hood there. My brother questioned, you can't fish here, its closed. I said, "Sure you can, buts its catch and release." "Like I said, its closed." was his reply.

So, its a question of, is whether or not you can keep fish a big factor in where you fish and what you target?

Thanks,

Kevin

[ 09-19-2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: wade ]

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Myself, I'm not much of a fish eater (although smoked salmon makes me very happy!) C & R would be heaven to me- more fish to catch, and bigger fish to catch! 8-10 inchers are fine for about an hour but it's nice to catch one that zings your reel every once and awhile! Driving 4-6hrs to get away from the big city where there still are bigger fish is the pits.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Im also not much of a fish eater and I think I would still fish for all the excitment and thrill of the chase/fight. It would be a bummer though not to be able to see the look on some elderly folks faces and other friends and family when I show up to give them a fish I was able to keep. Most of them dont get the chance or are unable to catch their own.

I would still fish Im sure but it would take some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I didn't care for either answer, I guess.

"If everywhere became C & R", I would just hunt the flying pigs in the frozen-over heck.

(I'd still fish)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'd still fish although not as much. Heck I already don't keep sturgeon, they're just fun for me. But I'm thinking there'd be a whole lot more hunting in my future.
Just my .02 cents worth...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with most that I don't like either answer.
Sure I'ld still fish,I get too much out of just being on the water,but I'll be [email protected]*d if I'm gonna cut fish outa my diet,or eat a farm raised fish,I guess that would leave alot for the netters though.Catch and release has it's place,but so does a good and fresh chromer(on my plate)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the responses. I notice a few of you don't like my choices of answers. Well I don't either, I admitted botching it up, my intent was made pretty clear though on a follow-up post.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
good poll despite the, er um issues. i think about it from time to time: we spend thousands of dollars each year on state run hatcheries. yes, some of it supports commercial harvest, but a lot of it is for sport anglers. i could support shutting down the hatcheries as long as i knew there would still be the ability to keep and eat fish. fish doesn't make up a lot of my diet cause i'm a lousy fisherman and i don't have the time to put on a disguise and drive to the other side of town to stoop so low as to buy salmon, not that i'd want to eat that stuff anyway. there would have to be truly sound fisheries management and a reduced harvest, both commercial and sport. frankly, i just don't see that happening so for now it's "hatcheries forever" for me.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I would do WHATEVER IT TOOK to get the food I wanted, by any means, and tell The Suits to pluck daisys in the field.

[ 09-19-2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hear ya feisty, but what's a suit?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't understand why CnR is such a problem for so many anglers. It's a law to most bass anglers and fly fishers. So why is it so much of a problem to most salmon and steelhead angler's?

Get used to catch and release!!!!!!! It works, and it feel's good.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I guess that would make me a midnight poacher
<sic> complements of Joe Walsh.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeah lets close all the hatchery's and just catch and release all those fish that are going to die in the river anyway. Just wait until someone from the state fisheries see's this post, then they will want to up tag prices to make up for all those who just quit fishing. I don't know where there is a law that bass fishermen have to CnR all their fish, that is a choice they make as do I. But if I hooked a nice smallie and it was looking like it was going to die I'll fillet him for supper. I have no problem releasing the so-called native steelhead and chinook, but you stop the catch and kill and I stop supporting the state's fishery budget.
Just my thought's.
Tim

[ 09-19-2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Crambone ]

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
An interesting subject and poll to say the least. I think I'd develop a new taste for Poached fish if it ever became a law though. I eat fish 3-5 times/week. I refuse to buy fish from the market. I fish in the ocean nearly exclusively, and a C&R fishery would never fly. I could deal with a C&R law for very specific species, or for limited seasons, but all the time on all fish is insane.

Halibut is not a C&R type of fishery generally. Tuna is not. Salmon on the ocean is not generally, at least not without a fairly significant porportion of mortality. Bottom fish, such as Black Bass could be done C&R, Ling Cod could as well...but again, if I'm fishing for these species it's cause I want meat for the table.

Sorry but they go C&R and I'd move or learn to like poached fish.

[ 09-19-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Sea Jypzee ]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts