IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technically, it will still exist next year, but it will be a much different hunt than it is now. Looking at the materials for the upcoming commission meeting, I see that the Interstate youth buck hunt that has been a late November rut hunt will now be a tag that allows the youth a few extra days PRIOR to the start of the regular Interstate season. It will certainly change the value of the tag in the eyes of point holders.

Grab your popcorn and cue the debates. :cool:

QQ

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I guess those 10 youth tags were really putting the pressure on that deer herd.

But the 1300ish rifle tags or 400ish new archery tags don't matter though.

What a joke.

Those 10 tags have very little impact on the overall deer herd. I think it came down to adults complaining about youth were getting an opportunity adults didn't. So ODFW fixed it for the complainers, they got rid of the youth tags.

Wonder if this will become a trend.

May be the Metolius late archery
Or the Umatilla refuge tag
Or some other premium rut tag with relatively low tag numbers in comparison to total population.

I disagree with a lot that ODFW does, but the one thing they got right was youth opportunities.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
M

I guess the 1300ish rifle tags or 400ish new archery tags don't matter though.

What a joke.

Those 10 tags have very little impact on on the overall deer herd. I think it came down to adults complaining about youth getting an opportunity adults didn't. So ODFW fixed the complaints get rid of the youth tags.

Or the umatilla refuge tag
Or some other premium rut tag with relatively low tag numbers in comparison to total population.

I disagree with a lot that ODFW does, but the one thing they got right was youth opportunities.
With the state of the mule deer herds all ruts hunts should have been deleted years ago. That being said there is also an over abundance of tags in general. Overall poor management of mule dee management. Nothing will get better as long as liberals control the state.

·
Registered
642 Posts
M

With the state of the mule deer herds all ruts hunts should have been deleted years ago. That being said there is also an over abundance of tags in general. Overall poor management of mule dee management. Nothing will get better as long as liberals control the state.
I think it is a heck of a stretch to blame too many tags on liberals.

·
Registered
888 Posts

I guess the 1300ish rifle tags or 400ish new archery tags don't matter though.

What a joke.

Those 10 tags have very little impact on on the overall deer herd. I think it came down to adults complaining about youth getting an opportunity adults didn't. So ODFW fixed the complaints get rid of the youth tags.

Or the umatilla refuge tag

They may only have 10 tags now, but did not for years!! They used to allow land owners to apply for the youth rut tag instead of the reg season tags up til like 6 yrs years ago, i know of quite a few that got land owner rut tags!! So they had like 35 or 40 reg draw tags and there were that or more land owner tags going out yearly for that hunt, glad they stopped that when they did, and only allow Land owners reg Interstate deer tags. Sad to live here in Lakeview my whole life and see what has happened to the deer around here. Let the youth have a tag but not in the rut, when the deer herds are in VERY!!!!! Bad shape

·
Registered
911 Posts
White River used to be a good late rut hunt also. 10 tags for the last dozen years and now it’s not anything like it was.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
They may only have 10 tags now, but did not for years!! They used to allow land owners to apply for the youth rut tag instead of the reg season tags up til like 6 yrs years ago, i know of quite a few that got land owner rut tags!! So they had like 35 or 40 reg draw tags and there were that or more land owner tags going out yearly for that hunt, glad they stopped that when they did, and only allow Land owners reg Interstate deer tags. Sad to live here in Lakeview my whole life and see what has happened to the deer around here. Let the youth have a tag but not in the rut, when the deer herds are in VERY!!!!! Bad shape
I am not saying that allowing LOP tags during that hunt is a good thing. Personally I think (and I have said it here many times) I think the LOP tag system in Oregon is completely broken.

And I agree that the deer populations are in a sad state of affairs, but 10 tags, even if 100% those tags are filled, will not have any affect on the overall population.

Here's somethings that could have been considered:

No LOP tags in the area.
Cut the rifle tags for the general rifle draw.
Cut the archery tags for the general archery draw

Other ODFW measures:
Start flying and killing coyotes in the birthing grounds
Start running cougars with dogs

ODOT measures:
Reduce the speed limit to 45 miles an hour to reduce deer and car accidents

Just a few ideas that have been implemented in other areas to help mule deer herds.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
White River used to be a good late rut hunt also. 10 tags for the last dozen years and now it’s not anything like it was.
White River has/had a huge poaching problem. The 10 tags per year certainly do add up, but compared to the illegal take, not so much.

-E-

·
Registered
13,642 Posts

But the 1300ish rifle tags or 400ish new archery tags don't matter though.

What a joke.

Those 10 tags have very little impact on the overall deer herd. I think it came down to adults complaining about youth were getting an opportunity adults didn't. So ODFW fixed it for the complainers, they got rid of the youth tags.

Or the Umatilla refuge tag

Agree 1000% on this one. Too many grumpy people whining about kids shooting 4-6 big mature bucks per year.

If you've been paying attention, plenty of bucks harvested each year that were NOT 6 year old 170+ inch Grey faces.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ehunter

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Kids need opportunities to hunt not trophies.
A trophy to a kid may not be the trophy an adult treasures.
My first deer was a yearling blacktail doe and I still value that trophy above the rest of the animals I've shot. The time with family and the opportunity will never be matched.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts