IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a statistics paper (yick) determining the correlation between rainfall in Northern Oregon and Chinook counts over Bonneville Dam. Surprisingly, there is VERY little relationship between rain and fish counts. I expected a large relationship and was surprised by what I saw. Just thought it was worth sharing.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Depending on the reason for the study, you might want to consider rainfall totals in NW Oregon vs. Salmon return on coastal rivers.

Or...

Perhaps incorporating rainfall totals for the entire Columbia River drainage basin.

Or...

Average stream flow totals...

Perhaps the correlation would be more significant with a larger sample area.

Perhaps incorporating ocean temperatures along migratory routes might help.

:)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I find statistics boring 90% of the time.
Good luck with the class. They should have field trips to the willamette. Figuring the catch ratios. I like it!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, I know you were just sharing....but did you look at rainfall on any kind of delay, like counts versus rainfall 10 days prior, or cumulative a week ahead or anything like that? May also be effect of the dams holding all that water back as it comes in. I really wouldn't expect much correlation until the reservoirs were all a peak capacity.....

just my 0.02...have fun.... :rolleyes:

Personally, I find my work on statistics-type activities is inversely correlated to the amount of time I get to fish.... :grin:

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Use temperature then see what you find out. Been there, done that for the Willamette. There is a pattern which is repeatable year after year. :smile:

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looking at monthly rainfall and monthly Nookies over the dam. Not trying to be a hero, thus no analysis of Southern Washington (thought it wouldnt change the outcome) rainfall, water temps, etc. Sweet and simple...and hopefully a decent grade so that I can be done with this class. :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts