IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,459 Posts
Recommendations on above. Will appreciate it. Mostly drifting rainy nw coastal streams. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cabelas Guide Wear has suited me so far. I opted for the non insulated version and we're fleece shirt underneath so when it's warm out, it's only a coat that keeps the rain off and when it's super cold I add layers.

· Registered
44,011 Posts
What Socket said. Dress in layers, wool and Polyester. I get thin wool, next to the skin base shirts at the Columbia Employees Store. Save some $$’s. They’ll let just about anybody in many days………. Even me. Wearing one now. Pendleton’s from outlet store over base. Save more $$’s. Shirts are old and have shrunk a bit but still good as new.

· Registered
338 Posts
I sweat! Guide wear and layers! I prefer Merino wool for layers. No smell, warm even when wet and most dry fast. Some newer synthetics come close to Merino and are less expensive. I want to be movement conscious and comfortable.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Cabelas Guide Wear. Have had a couple of sets for years and never gotten wet. Like prior poster said wear layers that you can remove if you get too warm. Personally I find insulated rain gear way too warm for me. :)🇺🇸

· Registered
7,054 Posts
I too opted to buy a rain jacket and wear layers underneath it. This way I can use it in January or June. Also like other said, wool is the only way to go. Be sure and buy a jacket that is next size up to accommodate the layers of clothes.

· Registered
16,776 Posts
I've been wearing Cabelas space rain for years. Lightweight, packable for those days I'm on the move, lightweight enough to not overheat when on the sticks in the drift boat . I wear the quarter zip pullover with a hood. They also come full zip with a hood as well I believe. Perfect for layering throughout the day......

· Registered
7,908 Posts
To answer what the OP originally asked, I've been wearing Simms Bulkley:
I've been very pleased with mine. Plenty of room for movement. Plenty of large pocket's. A great product that actually has a warranty.

· Registered
55 Posts
What is the reason for insulated? A good rain jacket without insulation can be more versatile. Layers are easy. We have lots of wet winter days in the high 50s that don’t need much insulation at all, especially if hiking or rowing.

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What is the reason for insulated? A good rain jacket without insulation can be more versatile. Layers are easy. We have lots of wet winter days in the high 50s that don’t need much insulation at all, especially if hiking or rowing.
I'm looking for light insulation. Too many clothes make my moving cumbetsone. For others it might not be problem but I don't like that 'restricted puffy movement'. So to all those who have fished for 30 yrs in layers..great! It just doesn't work for me. I've simms coat which is giving up after 10 or so yrs. Its been abused. Anyhow..just wondered if there's any reputable name in light insulated jackets. I still appreciate every single obe of your comnents. Gives a wide perspective to look at.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Registered
400 Posts
If you need it to be insulated, and have had a good experience with Simms, they make a good option, go with it.
Personally, I prefer a shell and layers.
I have (or have had in the past)
Simms Pro Guide jacket (shell)
Patagonia Salt II
Simms Camo wading jacket
another Simms Wading jacket
Bass Pro 100 MPH jacket
Cabelas Guide Wear jacket.

All are good jackets. Simms products are my overall favorite for effectiveness, design and longevity. Pro Guide version is my current favorite. Camo Wading jacket has been going strong for nearly 15 years.
Patagonia makes a great product, but I don't care for the Napoleon pockets due to rain access,not to mention their fish politics.
Bass Pro.....I hate the big multi colored logo on the chest.But very good and very well designed.
Cabelas Guide Wear was top notch 20 years ago. Based on friends recent experience I don't believe it is good as in past years.

· Registered
7,908 Posts
If you need it to be insulated, and have had a good experience with Simms, they make a good option, go with it.
Personally, I prefer a shell and layers.
I have (or have had in the past)
Simms Pro Guide jacket (shell)
Patagonia Salt II
Simms Camo wading jacket
another Simms Wading jacket
Bass Pro 100 MPH jacket
Cabelas Guide Wear jacket.

All are good jackets. Simms products are my overall favorite for effectiveness, design and longevity. Pro Guide version is my current favorite. Camo Wading jacket has been going strong for nearly 15 years.
Patagonia makes a great product, but I don't care for the Napoleon pockets due to rain access,not to mention their fish politics.
Bass Pro.....I hate the big multi colored logo on the chest.But very good and very well designed.
Cabelas Guide Wear was top notch 20 years ago. Based on friends recent experience I don't believe it is good as in past years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts