IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read 2 different things about pump location.

One said to locate the pump below water level to make it easier for the pump to draw water, the other said above water level so water doesn't sit in the pump. :shrug: Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Do you already have the pump? What does the manufacture say? I'am thinking of installing one in my sled.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting the shurflo washdown kit - Pro Blaster with 25' hose. The kit doesn't come with everything though. You still need a thru-hull fitting and hose between the filter and pump etc...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is there a difference in pump qualities. What do you look for as far as maximizing the pressure in output? jb

·
Registered
993 Posts
make sure you mount your pump as close to the back of the boat as you can its better if those type of pumps push rather than pull and remember you are going to have to drill a 11/8 hole in the transum of your boat at the bottom better left to the pros also make sure you get a pump that has a pressure switch and will drain when out of the water or it will freeze and crack we install these all the time where i work

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found Shurflo's instructions online and they say to mount the pump above the water line.

Who makes the ultimate thru-hull fitting with a screen?
I think it would be best to have a pre-filter on the outside of the boat.

·
Tuna! AKA Papermaker
3,157 Posts
You don't have to mount pump at transom. My pump is in the front locker of a 20.5' sled. Works good. If I remember right they will pull water UP :smile: about 5'. Lateral distance is no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts