IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find information for my dad on a boat I saw in a pamphlet a while back. I'm pretty sure they're made in Grants Pass. It is a combination between a jet boat and a drift boat. Essentially a drift boat with a 25hp jet and a few modifications to allow going upriver like a jet boat or going down river like a drift boat.

Does anyone know how to find information on these boats?

Has anyone operated a boat like this and can give some comments and advice?

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
sounds like the Rogue River Special. Call Brett at 541-479-1504. I have never run one, but they go upriver a LOT better than my drift boat does.

RF

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
That number is for Rogue River Boat shop. I don't think they have a website.

RF

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
that's the one. i thought it was a pretty slick idea. when i asked here, the common reply was that it's sort of an updated knock off of the alumaweld alumadrifter.

what i learned about the alumadrifter: it'll go lots of places and do lots of things minimally well. it gets really goofy on plane with the motor and you basically can't pull plugs worth a hoot with it. now, supposing you use the boat to get from point A to point B on the skinny rivers and bring along an electric troller for plugging, you're all set. a lot of folks already use an electric on regular drifters so why not accept the shortcoming of the modified design right off the bat and figure in the cost of the electric in the price of the boat.

i tried emailing them and asking for customer names to talk to about the handling characteristics of the boat with motor and on the sticks. i never heard back. hmmm... might be a reason for that. before buying, i'd definitely get a motor ride and a turn on the sticks. if they truly believe in their product, they'll be more than happy to do it for you.

ps: i just emailed again looking for info and their mailbox is dead. i might try calling tomorrow to see what they have to say.

[ 05-13-2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
check with Brett about the Rogue River Special. I was in one a few years ago and it motored pretty well. It didn't row too bad either.

RF

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Ampersat,
My first driftboat was an Alumadrifter. I rowed that boat for almost 12 years and did all the same things in it that I do in my Willie Boat that I have now. Yes, with a 20 horse on the back it was kind of slippery in the corners as any flat bottom boat is. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in that boat pulling plugs on rivers ranging from the Clackamas to the Necanicum and it tracked just as good as my Willie. It was just a lot more work to row cause it was a much heavier boat. I'll tell you what though, I can remember days when the old Alumadrifter was covered stem bow to stern with fall chinook blood.

Besides there aren't a whole lot of boats that you can have up in the wind whipped waters of the John Day Arm one day and floating down a coastal stream the next.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
actually, i was thinking about it the other day and since i have a bad shoulder and few friends (otherwise known as shuttle buddies), i thought an alumadrifter might just be my next boat. i have no qualms about running an electic troller for plugging and such. considering you can actually get an alumadrifter on plane, it makes a great willamette/columbia/bay alternative to a standard drifter. heck, put a 20hp on it with a jet pump and it's a rowable sled.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Amp,
The two minor problems I see are 1. I believe Alumaweld quit producing the Alumadrifter and 2. I believe the smallest motor you can put a pump on is a 25.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just got off the phone with Brett at RR Boat Shop. He sells the Rogue Marine boat mentioned previously. He has used them also so has a better idea on the performance.

Give him a call (541)479-1504

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input, I'll let me dad know and we will definately take it out for a test drive and get on the sticks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have an Alumadrifter with a 15 hp merc. The max recommended rating is 15 hp. I bought the boat from someone that had a 25 hp Yamaha jet on the back. He said something about it not being a sled. He was probably right, I would not use it as a sled replacement. It is pretty good as a slightly bigger and heavier driftboat. Now a days, I use it in Tillamook bay /rivers, the Deschutes (warm springs to trout creek calm section), and the Wilamette. Since trolling is not my favorite method of fishing, I spend more time anchoring and casting and choose those places where I can do that. You can probably say it is a good multipurpose boat but does each okay and is not optimized for each task like drifting technical rapids, backbouncing, trolling, etc. If you get serious about wanting to buy one, I can take you out to see what it is all about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts