IFish.net banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
I have some of the Mustang inflatable PFDs, would like a type I with pockets, but can't find any of those. The one I wear is showing it's age and looks close to being worn out.
ron m

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Back in my CG days we wore PFD's or mustang suits or wet suits but we always wore (what we called) a pyro vest. That vest had pockets with day/night flares, strobe light and whistle.

Of course we weren't out fishing but line handling, towing, MOB rescues, work on deck or in the engine room but my point is the vest was never a hindrance. Having all that gear our learned professional wants us to have in front pockets and trying to fish might be an issue. Side pockets maybe???

Surely not disputing his safety standards just a matter of hindrance when fishing.

·
Vendor
9,502 Posts
Back in my CG days we wore PFD's or mustang suits or wet suits but we always wore (what we called) a pyro vest. That vest had pockets with day/night flares, strobe light and whistle.

Of course we weren't out fishing but line handling, towing, MOB rescues, work on deck or in the engine room but my point is the vest was never a hindrance. Having all that gear our learned professional wants us to have in front pockets and trying to fish might be an issue. Side pockets maybe???

Surely not disputing his safety standards just a matter of hindrance when fishing.
You're right that the gear in the front pockets is in the way. The PLB makes a big lump in the pocket which does tend to bump into things. It's a PITA. Sometimes even the vest straps get caught up in the reel. And the strobe attached to the vest sometimes gets switched on accidentally and I don't even know it until someone tells me I'm flashing.

I wish there was a perfect solution and a perfect PFD, but I don't know of one.

Some of the guys I've had on my boat had a belt with emergency gear on it, but that seemed even more awkward.

Are you suggesting wearing a separate gear vest, in addition to a PFD? Say more about what this would look like. I'm always looking for a better solution.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
You're right that the gear in the front pockets is in the way. The PLB makes a big lump in the pocket which does tend to bump into things. It's a PITA. Sometimes even the vest straps get caught up in the reel. And the strobe attached to the vest sometimes gets switched on accidentally and I don't even know it until someone tells me I'm flashing.

Some of the guys I've had on my boat had a belt with emergency gear on it, but that seemed even more awkward.

Are you suggesting wearing a separate gear vest, in addition to a PFD? Say more about what this would look like. I'm always looking for a better solution.
So I'm wondering who amongst us knew Tinman was a flasher!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sometimes even the vest straps get caught up in the reel.
Yes the tag end of the strap that is sewn double easily gets caught on things, pretty aggravating.

No one has mentioned the through the crotch straps to keep the PFD from riding up when in the water. I have a Mustang that has them and one from Cabela's that doesn't. Another step to perform before using the bucket.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Tinman I am with you 1000% looking for a solution and I'd love to be prepared for the worst but my gosh...

NO! I'm not encouraging another vest, mainly because it inhibits pulling the inflate if need be. I know... self inflaters are supposed to work. (Mind you CG didn't use self inflate PFDs.) In the day of Bluetooth, why not just push a button a zappo... everything activates for ya off a little micro pod?

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Tinman I am with you 1000% looking for a solution and I'd love to be prepared for the worst but my gosh...

NO! I'm not encouraging another vest, mainly because it inhibits pulling the inflate if need be. I know... self inflaters are supposed to work. (Mind you CG didn't use self inflate PFDs.) In the day of Bluetooth, why not just push a button a zappo... everything activates for ya off a little micro pod?
Well, good thought/idea, but it probably should have a power source besides the boats electrical system.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Dan, you say inflatables are predominately type III, do you know of any that are Type I? Or of any inflatables that have pockets to hold the "4" safety items referenced in the video? Google didn't find any of either for me.
ron m

Ron - I lifted this from BoatUS website:

"Currently, there aren't any Coast Guard approved Type I inflatable PFD's available to the general public."

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I, like many here wear a Mustang. I have several of them also for guests who don't have their own.

But - there are quite a few of us on this board that enjoy solo trips every now and then. I think the Mustang in those circumstances would only suffice as a recovery aid for responders.

I'm in the market too for something more substantial for those times.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I made a pouch to hold my hand held VF and run the waist strap through it. A Garmin inreach hooked to the shoulder strap and the PLB fits into the pocket of my Mustang inflatable. On my ski I use a NRS Chinook and it has pockets for all of the safety gear. I find myself using the NRS even if I am on boats, really pretty comfortable.
Best life jacket is of course one that is worn and not stored away somewhere.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, good thought/idea, but it probably should have a power source besides the boats electrical system.

In today's world of cell phones attaching to all varieties of superfluous technology I have trouble thinking it would take much for that battery source to happen. Just build an app or program. That guy could make a fortune.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Dan, you say inflatables are predominately type III, do you know of any that are Type I? Or of any inflatables that have pockets to hold the "4" safety items referenced in the video? Google didn't find any of either for me.
ron m

I do not know of any type I inflatables on the market. What I have seen with other inflatables is that people add a belt pouch on to put other survival items on the vest.

Dan

21 - 35 of 35 Posts