IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time that I replace the CO2 chargers in my Yakima PFD's, but it sort of irks me to spend $60 for maybe nothing - perhaps my current cartridges are still good! On the other hand, I'm not willing to risk somebody's life for a few bucks and replace them I will.

In a EUREKA! moment the thought struck me to weigh the new chargers and write the weight on each in indelible ink. Subsequently, I could re-weigh the cartridges periodically to determine whether the charge is still encapsulated. As long as the weight is unchanged, the cartridge should be good, right?

Will someone please take a moment to point out the logic defect I can't see in this idea? I know it's in there somewhere.

(I've never been accused of being one of the great thinkers. An example would be a similar EUREKA! moment when I was 12 or 13 and figured out that if I hit a small Nestucca tidewater sandbar at full throttle our little aluminum boat would just fly right across ala Bond, James Bond. Great theory. Under field testing however, the boat stopped 6 feet onto the sand while I catapaulted all the way across the sandbar and well into the water beyond, pausing only long enough to knock two teeth out on the bow bracket as I whizzed by at 30 miles an hour.)

Thank you in advance for your response.

OC

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
In a EUREKA! moment the thought struck me to weigh the new chargers and write the weight on each in indelible ink. Subsequently, I could re-weigh the cartridges periodically to determine whether the charge is still encapsulated. As long as the weight is unchanged, the cartridge should be good, right?

Will someone please take a moment to point out the logic defect I can't see in this idea? I know it's in there somewhere.

OC
Before I would rely on this method, I think I'd take one and fire it off to see if there IS enough of a difference in weight of a discharged cartridge and one that is fully charged to be easily measurable.

The CO2 in them is likely to have an unmeasurable weight by conventional 'scales'. I'd be surprised if you would be able to detect enough of a difference to be reliable and consistent.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
If you would have thought to charge admission to your Nestucca event you would probably have plenty to pay for the recharges. Well, maybe not after you deducted the dentist's bill.....

I'm enjoying the picture your story created though. :cheers:

skein

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I bought my second inflatable PFD this year and the directions stated you can weigh the cylinders to compare a full and empty one. A cylinder can be faulty/empty and show no obvious signs of failure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
As I understand it these only count as a preserver if they are replaced each year as per the manufacturer's requirements. Mustang has one that only needs to be changed every 5 yrs. Most just use an aspirin like device that melts to fire them when they hit water (Mustang uses a pressure type) and the problem with these is the aspirin draws moisture and get soft then can fire unexpetedly...Your live depends on them don't scrimp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts