IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My motors get direct southern sun and I wanted to protect the cowlings from UV damage and fading, but I’m too cheap to buy the Yamaha factory covers ir the nice fitted aftermarket units. Ordered a couple of these from Amazon and while they aren’t purty, they were shockingly cheap, are US made, and are going to work. It was less than $30 delivered for the two.

The big one is on a Yamaha 115, the smaller one is on a Yamaha 9.9, both 4-strokes. Very happy with the fit of the big one; the smaller one is obviously very baggy.

Plant Tarpaulin Tent Tree Shade

·
Registered
148 Posts
Unless they have a NONE SLIP foam liner inside? They will pound & scrub the paint finish off on the road or during a long windy storm. Been there. I really should clean & paint my old 1986 and 1999 Evinrude virgins. They are flawless otherwise.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just ordered the MSC cover for my 25hp for 15$ I'll give it a go. I can't make one for 15$, I have custom made one for my big main which is in storage, it was 250$ has a soft interior with sunbrella exterior.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My motors get direct southern sun and I wanted to protect the cowlings from UV damage and fading, but I’m too cheap to buy the Yamaha factory covers ir the nice fitted aftermarket units. Ordered a couple of these from Amazon and while they aren’t purty, they were shockingly cheap, are US made, and are going to work. It was less than $30 delivered for the two.

The big one is on a Yamaha 115, the smaller one is on a Yamaha 9.9, both 4-strokes. Very happy with the fit of the big one; the smaller one is obviously very baggy.

View attachment 984178
Who cares what they look like while storing as long as they do the job!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the MSC version now and 6 trips to ramp at 60mph so far and heavy rains and sun it's holding up well. For 15$ it's worth it, that's two lunches or three cigars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Main thing is to protect the motor from exposure to the elements. Lots of things to consider. On a 250 Pro XS I had, I used the form fitting travel type when towing and also during storage. Was amazed at how much rocks and dirt get slung up by the truck tires on to the boat. I worked in the Middle East for a while and they used covers that fit over their entire engines (mainly to protect from blowing sand). I should have picked one up while there as they were very nice covers and not too expensive! Wish I took a picture too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts