1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
490 Posts
Cover your eyes. Any comment on the article?
You want me to comment on an article about wealth, privilege, and socio-economic inequities?
At the same time you ask me to ignore your avatar displaying similar concepts?
An avatar that degrades poor people, mocks native Americans beliefs, and objectifies women?
You are correct - Common sense is not evenly distributed

·
Registered
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want me to comment on an article about wealth, privilege, and socio-economic inequities?
An avatar that degrades poor people, mocks native Americans beliefs, and objectifies women?
The article is about fish, squirrels and bees and how the offspring of the leaders fare better than those of the followers. That lends itself to the concept of survival of the fittest. Clearly your interst is to hijack the thread. Please stop.

·
Registered
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read the article and thought it would make for an interesting discussion. I mean, clown fish getting nesting rights to the family anemone. It's the biggest on the block and provides the best protection. Does that happen on our reefs with local species?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The linked article is pretty crappy. Interesting topic, but an undercurrent of bias in the “journalistic message.”

I decided to look at some of the original linked papers. They are vastly more interesting. Small world … I am (was) friends with the person cited therein clownfish, we were in grad school together and hung out socially.

The science. In one paper, the authors construct phylogenies (relatedness charts) of various social mammals and examine patterns of male vs female dominance. Turns out, relatively few social mammal taxa are female-dominant.

I was disappointed that elk were not included in the analysis. Perhaps the scientific data aren’t clear enough, but I’m pretty darn sure they’re matriarchal.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
490 Posts
Don - I like your avatar. However, some people can't see the forest through the trees and are just grumps.
Clever
The article is about fish, squirrels and bees and how the offspring of the leaders fare better than those of the followers. That lends itself to the concept of survival of the fittest. Clearly your interst is to hijack the thread. Please stop.
As stated in the article, it's also that: "humans can learn important lessons about income inequality and privilege"

Reactions: SSPey

·
Registered
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oxford gets into the act. Yes, it starts with human condition but then looks to nonhuman privilege.

Orange Bird Organism Yellow Line

New York Times on crab inequality:

And another on privilege in the animal kingdom:

Or follow any of the other links.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Oxford gets into the act. Yes, it starts with human condition but then looks to nonhuman privilege.

View attachment 983490

New York Times on crab inequality:

And another on privilege in the animal kingdom:

Or follow any of the other links.

Oxford is just the publisher, a money-maker affiliated with the university, but no substantive connection to the research. Not that it matters one iota.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Clearly someone is living up to their moniker. :ROFLMAO:

Don - as one of the more ....prolific posters... you win some and you lose some. Maybe you can find a study on a fishes mood depending on which side of the coral reef one wakes up on. 🤷‍♂️💐

·
Registered
720 Posts
Woah, Speaking of red flag laws.

·
Registered
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clearly someone is living up to their moniker. :ROFLMAO:

Don - as one of the more ....prolific posters... you win some and you lose some. Maybe you can find a study on a fishes mood depending on which side of the coral reef one wakes up on. 🤷‍♂️💐
I'm sure there's been a study on that very thing but just haven't run across it yet.

BTW - love your tag line.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Ignore is a solution to hijacking.

We've recently gotten into chickens for my grandkids. Well, that's what we are saying any way. We have three different groups of slightly different ages. We don't know if any privileges they have are related to color or breed quite yet. But there does seem to be a pecking order that's changing over time.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm sure there's been a study on that very thing but just haven't run across it yet.

Probably the sunny side of the coral reef, given fish mood varies with temperature

1 - 20 of 39 Posts