IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any regs regarding converting from points to breakerless ignition. Do they need to be CG approved? Any suggestions? I'm running a 350 chevy with points and condenser and want to go breakerless. Thanks for any input....sal

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I don't know what the regs are and what your plans are, but these things are a cheap and easy way to get rid of those nasty old points.

http://www.pertronix.com/ignition/ignitor/

Not sure if there are Coast Guard regs, but I would doubt it personally.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
One thing to rememeber:
Chevy (or prestolite, often used on marine applications) points, condenser, cap and rotor are available nearly EVERYWHERE. and are simple to diagnose and repair.
Electronic ignitions are great when they work but are difficult and often costly to diagnose when problems arise. Be sure you get a common one for those times when a successful/enjoyable trip depends on it, and be prepared to carry spares of evertything.
And then it has to be CG approved too!
Jamie

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Carp, decided to go with Pertronix, however, is $92.00 about right? That isn't exactly cheap to me but maybe I'm cheap. Lingslayer, do you have an opinion on these? I hear you when you mention the simplicity of points and condenser. I'm a "carry a spare" kind of guy too! Thanks for your input.... sal

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Actually $92 is cheap imho. It needs to be CG approved if your engine is enclosed. Only airtight distrubutors and dist caps have been CG approved in the past, so the stock Chev point type dist with the little sliding window in the cap for point adjustment usually isn't. You DON'T want fuel vapors in the dist or dist cap.
What kind of distributor do you have now? Is it Prestolite or Chev? Not all mfrs make conversion kits for Prestolite and I wouldn't use a stock Chev for the reasons above.
A CG approved system will "usually" consist of a distributor assy, a wiring loom, and often a coil and/or ignitor assy.
I would contact the CG or search for approved brands/types in marine salvage yards or new parts suppliers.
I can check at work today and see what I can find. Don't be surprised if you need to spend $200 or more for a CG approved system.
Maybe those that have done this conversion will chime in here with their brands/types and costs.
I hth,
Jamie

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lingslayer, I've got a Mallory yl. The parts house said that it was for a Marine application, so I went for it. It will be here on Tuesday. A friend of mine told me about these and swears by them. I'll post after I get it all back together. I'm in the middle of a rebuild right now. Found water in #4 and #6 while getting the boat ready this spring. I would like to know how it got it there for sure, only have guesses for now. Oh well, it's only money. Right?......sal

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Sal,
It's only money yes,... But as aftermarket ignitions go, there is probably more availability with Mallory than any other brand. Get some spares of key pieces. Did you get the unilite?
Good call!
Jamie

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I changed My White Water to electronic igntion and have been nothing but pleased with it.
st

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definately plan on carrying spare parts. It is in my blood. All my stuff is old, so I have too. Skeezer, If I didn't have these toys and bad habits and two kids and a wife, I would have some extra and yes, I would share.....a little.... sal. Thanks for all the input from everyone. It is really appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts