IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to have a custom aluminum trailer built for my 20' NR seahawk. I would like to buy something in the PNW region. So far my search has borne little fruit.

I currently have an e-z loader and I don't want another one.

I have been in contact with a highly regarded trailer builder in Florida. I'd be very satisfied with this builder based on numerous reviews by other boaters.

But the shipping costs aren't inexpensive. I will go this route if I can't find anything remotely local (I'm in Montana so when I say remotely local I mean a healthy drive).

Any pointers are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Be careful buying locally. There is a company that takes deposits and never does any of the work. They keep cropping back up under different names. Same guy used to also 'build' custom docks. Has ripped off dozens of people (including ifish members) according to court and Oregon business records.

Is a family uses various family member's names to register the businesses. Since he uses different names of family members and friends can be difficult to figure out you are dealing with this guy with decades-long history of ripping people off.

Caveat emptor

·
Registered
18,459 Posts
Always impressed by the fit/finish of Bob’s trailers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Highly doubt in this boat building climate you will find a builder willing to take the time to build a trailer that isn’t going under one of their own new boats. Everyone is so bogged down, it’s not going to be worth it to them to make a few bucks on a loose trailer, in all likelihood. It’s hard to get a call back from some of the manufacturers listed if you want to buy a $75k boat. Good luck getting a call back on a trailer only!

You already have an EZ Loader galvanized trailer or a welded aluminum trailer by them?

Trailer manufacturers are out months, as well. If EZ Loader aluminum is a no-go, I would try Tuff Trailer in WA.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Highly doubt in this boat building climate you will find a builder willing to take the time to build a trailer that isn’t going under one of their own new boats. Everyone is so bogged down, it’s not going to be worth it to them to make a few bucks on a loose trailer, in all likelihood. It’s hard to get a call back from some of the manufacturers listed if you want to buy a $75k boat. Good luck getting a call back on a trailer only!

You already have an EZ Loader galvanized trailer or a welded aluminum trailer by them?

Trailer manufacturers are out months, as well. If EZ Loader aluminum is a no-go, I would try Tuff Trailer in WA.

My Seahawk is an 07'. So is the EZ loader. The trailer is showing its age, not unexpected for a 13~ year old trailer. But rather than continue to dump $$ into it I'd rather upgrade and start fresh. Something designed specifically for my boat.

The Guardian trailers look like they might fit the bill. I will be calling them shortly.

·
Registered
852 Posts
What didn't you like about EZ? I just sold my 08 20' Seahawk and still had original oil in the hubs. Little or no corrosion.Yes I ran salt at times. Just made sure to thoroughly wash and rinse.

Jeff Gruber

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What didn't you like about EZ? I just sold my 08 20' Seahawk and still had original oil in the hubs. Little or no corrosion.Yes I ran salt at times. Just made sure to thoroughly wash and rinse.

Jeff Gruber

The chine guide brackets broke and the original owner had it repaired, if you could call it that. No problem with the hubs.
I guess overall its not a very well built trailer. Always a pita to load the boat.

It still works but I'd really like something tailor made to fit.

I have been in contact with Rogue (Guardian trailers) and River Wild (Liquid Technologies) today. Both very busy and both make very nice trailers.

I've narrowed it down to those two.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
River Wild was able to squeeze me in faster so that's who I'm going to go with.
Bruce @ Rogue was a pleasure to deal with and was upfront about their backlog.

I honestly don't think I could have gone wrong with either choice. Both make sweet trailers.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts

River Wild is building just trailers for guys.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
River Wild is building just trailers for guys.

Mike- interesting! Surprised to hear it with how far they are out on boats, but maybe they just have different folks that build them. I suppose it takes them much less time to build the trailers than boats if they have a different workforce building the trailer.

I’d be bummed to hear they are building people trailers if I was out two years on my order boat and they use the same guys to build either.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Or maybe RiverWild now has dedicated staff to build just trailers so they're not taking welders and fabricators off boat builds. Building trailers for others keeps the guy busy when he's caught up. Makes pretty good business sense which is obvious some people lack...

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Or maybe RiverWild now has dedicated staff to build just trailers so they're not taking welders and fabricators off boat builds. Building trailers for others keeps the guy busy when he's caught up. Makes pretty good business sense which is obvious some people lack...

Sounds like that's pretty much what he's saying. (imo)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got no idea on RW's work flow and strategies. They are busy as is everybody else.

As with any business, you make hay while the sun is shining.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Another option is Jamie at American Made. He was owner of Fish Rite.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts