IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art. James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Psycho-babble will not defend hunting anytime soon.

I must have been born about a hundred years too late because the simple translation that comes to mind with a title like "In Defense Of Hunting" is that the Anti groups are on a mission and if it wasnt for their narrow minded and emotional Walt Disney views on how to manage wild animals we wouldn't HAVE to defend our hunting privileges.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an interesting response.

I wasn't thinking in those terms when I posted that.

In defense of Hunting is only the title.

My thoughts are more to do with Why I hunt and what I get out of it.

The anti's can go jump in the river as far as I am concerned that's got nothing to do with.....

The sediments of the Hunt.

I don't think it hurts to evaluate for ourselves what it is about hunting that is so appealing.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Maybe the question should be why do we hunt?

That's an interesting response.

I wasn't thinking in those terms when I posted that.

In defense of Hunting is only the title.

My thoughts are more to do with Why I hunt and what I get out of it.

The anti's can go jump in the river as far as I am concerned that's got nothing to do with.....

The sediments of the Hunt.

I don't think it hurts to evaluate for ourselves what it is about hunting that is so appealing.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps you might think of it in another way.

In defense:

I personally feel more threated by people Poaching, Tresspassing or otherwise practicing illegally then I do the Anti's. The closing of private access to hunting areas has had a bigger impact then the few changes in hunting laws to date.

The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage.

Good hunters ! What does that mean ?

Love and service ?

This to me means the same thing as above.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Ok I think that they are all tied together. Who gets the most negative press the law breakers, who do the antis try to portray in the worst light the law breakers. If we all hunters hunted legaly and did not break rules there would be less finger pointing. I think that the break down comes when people let ego's and the me only matters go to their head.

Ethics are huge it is no different than if you pull the trigger on 2 or more deer or you ride or drive off roads. The rest of the world hears that and blames us all. If everyone fully understood the laws and and thought about why they are there maybe there would be less problems and if they cared more about the sport and animals. Public perception is huge. Antis feed off the emotion and when people do stupid things they are right there to point out the bad and the good gets left off.

The final thing that is most scary is apathy by the majority of hunters that is what I fear the most.

In defense:

I personally feel more threated by people Poaching, Tresspassing or otherwise practicing illegally then I do the Anti's. The closing of private access to hunting areas has had a bigger impact then the few changes in hunting laws to date.

The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage.

Good hunters ! What does that mean ?

Love and service ?

This to me means the same thing as above.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Your right:applause::grin: Why think it about it so much pass the meat:food::grin:

Pass the lemon pepper and get out the way and I'll show you why I hunt!:food:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

In defense:

I personally feel more threated by people Poaching, Tresspassing or otherwise practicing illegally then I do the Anti's. quote]

If you don't feel threatened right now, go to the HSUS website or CASH (Coalition to Abolish Sport Hunting) website and read their statements regarding hunting. Keep in mind that HSUS has been behind every bit of legislation that has banned certain types of hunting in America and they are getting stronger by the day. Specifically, cougar hunting with hounds, bear hunting in New Jersey, Dove hunting in Michigan, and there are few more that I can't remember right now, but you get the picture. HSUS has said they will try and get cougar hunting banned in Oregon via the ballot box. If you have never written Senators or State Reps. regarding hunting legislation, please stay in contact with me or Limbhanger. We are on a mission.

There liberal teachers are teaching school children that sport hunting is wrong. One teacher from Clackamas County had her High Scool kids down at the Capital wearing protest pins that were way off of the point. They are using emotions and lies to convince kids that hunting is wrong.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never meant to say I wasn't concerned about the Anti's. It's just that the more immediate threat seems to be from my above statements.
Land use violators that tend to get access locked up. Surely the anti's are putting a lot of resource into banning hunting all together.

Hopefully, NRA and all the hunting related businesses will contribute to
fighting this.

Arms dealers, Bow manufactures etc. etc.

But the Anti's have a huge lobby.... The poll above sort of reflects the
actuall sentiment of the American public. The anti's claim that only 7 percent of the population hunts. Perhaps but that is based on Sales of Lisence and tag sales and does not reflect people who live in Rural areas, or family members that don't hunt but who have sympathies towards other family members that do....

The Anti hunting movement is live and well.....but we could do a lot ourselves by respecting land owners.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
....but we could do a lot ourselves by respecting land owners.
I will second that statement; last November in SE Washington I saw where someone had driven a truck in a muddy field planted with winter wheat parallel to a gated road 300 yards, resulting in huge ruts, in order to avoid having to drag their deer. Ridiculous. :frown:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
In defense of hunting......

I wrote a rebuttal article in response to the Eugene Weekly's cougar story.

I expose the anti movement for what it is and make some very strong points regarding their propaganda etc.

The editor got in touch with me and said he is going to RUN IT this Thursday!!

It will be online in the afternoon.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In defense of hunting......

I wrote a rebuttal article in response to the Eugene Weekly's cougar story.

I expose the anti movement for what it is and make some very strong points regarding their propaganda etc.

The editor got in touch with me and said he is going to RUN IT this Thursday!!

It will be online in the afternoon.

Has anyone been harassed in the woods while hunting ?
A few years ago the anti's tried to do that but were stopped. I dont' know if you guys are aware of this but that is against the law in Oregon to harass hunters.

One year over in the Ukhia area we were harassed by somebody. Don't know if they were anti's or just locals trying to prevent us from killing an Elk in their Rifle area. They spent all three days during Labor shooting .22's
Bang, Bang, Bang. all day long.

One of the guys in our party spotted them shooting towards some Elk. Not to hit them but to harrass them. We called OSP but no one got there in time to do anything.

It sure did mess up our hunt. Made the Elk very nervous.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Actaully there was a funny story written about some hunters who decided enough was enough as peta members were following these guys around a park that had been opened up to thin some does. Any how the hunters drew names and when the peta member started to follow them the desinated hunter took off on a 5 mile hike though the swamps with peta following them one of the peta members spent the night in the woods and they had to call a search and rescue team find another one after 2 days it was very quite and the hunt went on with out them:wink::grin::cheers:

So they are not very good in the woods but because of this incident the harrasing of hunters became illegal in some states..:pp

Most anti's never step foot in the wood. That is why they are so ignorant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts