IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad

In honor of Father’s Day, it seemed appropriate to write something about dad.

My love of fishing, if nurture based, surely came from dad. I was the youngest of four siblings, all sisters, and while they all seemed to enjoy fishing for trout, it was me that took to it like, well, like a fish to water.

By the ripe old age of 5, my fishing skills had been honed at Diamond Lake and included catching a “huge” 18” rainbow that was proudly marched around the campground and shown to every camper I could find. Dad sat quite bemused and I suspect took the even bigger one that he had caught off the stringer and quickly dispatched it to the frying pan so I could bask in my glory.

I remember that trip vividly, in no small part when awakening to a frozen campsite the next morning. All I wanted to do was stay tucked into the comparable comforts of my sleeping bag when dad came over, explained the fire was started, the hot chocolate was poured, and the fish were not waiting for us. It was that lesson of fighting through the initial chill that can lead to a great day of outdoor adventure that ingrained into my mind and helped motivate me years later, whether it was for ducks, bucks, bulls or piscatorial pursuits.

My parents, unfortunately, split soon after that trip. Dad and I saw each other much less frequently, but when we did it was almost always to hit one of the lakes around the greater Medford area, of which there are many. We would fish from the bank or the boat, and he would patiently rig me up and it seems we always caught fish.

As I got older I started understanding the nuances of trolling the small car topper 12’ Wards Sea King Aluminum boat and 6 horse Johnson dad owned. By the time I was 10 I was doing most of the driving and still do even with friend’s boats to this day. As I got older dad showed me knots and lures and flashers and weights. He taught how to clean the catch, how to care for it, and how to cook it. And all the time I took those things for granted. He could do all the things with patience and care that at the time I could not with impatience and insensitivity.

As I got into my teens, dad took a job for the state in Salem, so the time we saw each other became less frequent yet. There was resentment on my part over the whole split thing, the fact that mom and I (all my sisters were gone) were left fending for ourselves at near poverty levels. It seemed that fishing was something I didn’t get to do much because of lack of opportunity and gear. But when I visited him in the summer, we still made time to take the "Monkey Wards" Sea King out to Detroit Lake and all the ruffled feathers would be soon forgotten.

As college beckoned the choice became OSU, which put me in closer proximity to dad. He had suffered from an industrial accident, which caused a shattered ankle, compound leg fractures and a broken pelvis. After 6 months of recovery including having to relearn how to walk, he decided that the car topper arrangement was no longer too feasible. So when I came up on a visit I found the boat garaged on a new to it trailer. Cool! No longer would we have the car topper routine to pull off at the ramp. The motor could stay permanently attached to the boat. By that time dad was in his 60s, I was young and full of you know what and vinegar, and the inevitable shift of energy and fishing prowess was seemingly moving my way.

But not totally. Dad could still reach into his bag of wisdom and pull out some obscure lure and catch a fish when they weren’t biting.

Yet age was taking its toll. I moved to outer Beaverton after college and getting married. Dad and I agreed to meet at Hagg Lake one Sunday – he would pull the boat up and I was to drive over there. We did meet up, but unusual for him, he was late arriving. In fact it was the only time I ever remember him being late for anything. Said that he was feeling kind of poorly, but he never got too specific, and I was too self absorbed in fishing to ask or observe much of what that meant.

We fished all day and caught a few fish. At the end of the day I loaded the Sea King on the trailer for him and bid dad ado.

It was not until the following Tuesday that dad decided to get the “feeling poorly” checked out. Turned out he had suffered a mild heart attack. Yet he so relished being able to get out to fish he ignored the pain to spend a day with me fishing.

It was a few years after that that dad offered to “sell” me the boat and motor. I agreed, as he was retired and I was gaining in my career and earning power. We negotiated a price of $500 for the 60s vintage boat and early 60s Johnson with the tiny trailer and little wheels. At the time I think I felt ripped off by the purchase. Today I wish I had kept the boat.

I took dad out a few times after that, but by then a couple more heart attacks had slowed him down considerably. He had one while riding his bicycle on one end of Salem, and yet rode it home before getting in an ambulance to go back across town to the hospital. When I asked him why, later on, he told me he thought I might call him up that Friday night to go fishing and he didn’t want to miss the call. That motivated him to get home…

Dad died 10 years ago this spring. He lay down on his living room floor to take a nap and never got up. My stepmother found him there the next morning, an issue of Outdoor Life and his “Henning’s Guide to Fishing in Oregon” close by. At the nowadays seemingly young age of 74, the kicker finally gave out. Seems he went out dreaming of, if not doing, what he loved. Although I was not able to confirm it, I have always suspected the book was opened to the pages describing Diamond Lake.

Through a series of events not for this publication, dad’s remains are still on the mantel in his living room. I can only hope that someday they will be spread over Diamond Lake, Lake of The Woods or Fish Lake. Heck maybe even Detroit.

So to all of you please make your Father’s Day special. No matter what, remember you only have one of them and all the things you would like to say when you don’t may be too late to say when you are ready to. For me it would have involved more thanks for simple understandings and less judgment about things I could not be in a position to judge.

:cheers:

[ 06-10-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
584 Posts
Great story, sorry you lost your best fishing partner... I'm in my early 30's now, and I still struggle to put to words how much I appreciate all my Father's done for me. He always came through for us, because he's the hardest working man I know.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great story Hogmaster. I fish every chance I get and have had some awesome trips. But the best trips were with my dad. My dad passed away in 1987, But all the times together with him seem just like yesterday
Thanks for reminding me

Rubber Hooks

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hogmaster,
As usual...

I absolutely cherish the times I get to spend with both my Mom and Dad. I, too, got my desire to fish from them. Got to watch both of them fight an Oversize Sturgeon just last weekend with ******. :bowdown: Made my day! :dance:

Again, Great Story!!!!

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I probably shouldn't have read this sitting at my desk at work. Truth is, my father and I have been on the outs most of my adult life... okay, heck, most of my life period. :depressed:

I think I'll give him a call and tell him I love him.

Thanks for sharing Hogmaster! :cheers:

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Nice story Hogmaster :smile:

With Fathers day being Saturday, I am torn between wanting to spend time with my son/daughter being a dad, and spending time with my dad being a son. In an ideal world I could do all it. I think I may drive to Tillamook this weekend, and spend Saturday morning springer fishing with dad and then taking my son & daughter to the beach so we can find some treasures on the beach, which would be any rock, stick, shell or dead thing for the little boy :wink: and the same minus the sticks, rocks and dead things for my daughter :wink:

I dont know how many years I have left with dad, or being a dad for that matter, but I hope it is a lot in both cases. Gotta make the effort to enjoy them while I can.

I dont fish with dad nearly enough any more. :depressed: He works all the time it seems, and if it wasnt for springer season he wouldnt get a hook wet anymore. Guess I will go fish with him for the only fish he chases anymore.

Enjoy your fathers day :cheers:

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Excellent story Hogmaster, really gets ya thinking about what's really important in life. Thanks..............

BOE, FYI, Fathers Day is on Sunday !!!!!!!!!!

JK

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I was lucky. I am lucky. My dad has been and still is around. My early years are very similar to Hogmaster's. The early cold mornings, the 12' cartopper and all the educational experiences. I return the favor every chance. He is 600 miles away and mom passed away a couple months ago. I e-mail him photos almost every week and will be sending him a gift pack of smoked salmon this year. I hope he comes for a visit soon so we can create some good times again.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Not to be too repetative, but as alway good story Hogmaster. Even though my dad took me on my first fishing trip, he did not do much after that. Last year I had the joy of taking him out in my new to me boat. He caught the only fish of the day. I hope we can fish more in the next few years.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
No fishing this father's day, but I scored the company Mariners tickets for 4 and I'm taking my two brothers and my dad. Baseball, hotdogs, garlic fries, beer, and family bonding. No fish, but just as fun.

[ 06-10-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!

If I got even a few of you to think about how your relationship is with your father (which it seems it did), then this story was more than worth the effort.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is even reading these...

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Hogmaster, I enjoyed your story very much. This fathers day is my first without my Dad. I lost him a few months back. He taught me how to fish, to hunt, and like you, to tie knots. I remember fishing with him in a home made boat when I was about 10. I could go on and on about my Father but all I want to say to EVERYONE, tell your father you love him. If your relationship is not what it could be, start to make that way because when they're gone you will wish you had.
Happy Fathers Day to all
st

·
Registered
685 Posts
Kinda depressing. My dad never really taught me to fish. He's out there still pursuing hapiness. He would steelhead fish and I would sleep in I guess. That's guys for you. Trust in God. Take time for your wife. Love your children like Jesus and you will find life.

Now. My 3-year-old daughter is casting lead down the driveway with a Disney Pole. This last weekend we caught a 2-3 inch bullhead in Devils Lake. Guess what, best fish I ever saw caught was my beautiful daughter's bullhead. Best worm I ever rigged. Best wife who ever took the picture. Spend that time.

--------D

·
Registered
869 Posts
As usual....great story. I too started fishing with my dad and still do every monday...that is if he's done working...way to hard now a days in my opinion. I just called him after reading this to tell him about the story.... Life is way too short and I plan to cherish every moment now that I too am a father. It seems every time I go over to my parents house, the lawn is 3 feet tall and the rose bushes are still blooming with all this grass grown over them.... I offered to come over and help him get the yard cleaned up...he accepted... One less day fishing for me this week...but, I know mom and dad will appreciate not having to mow and weed. If there is a bad feeling between you and pops or mom for that matter...get over it...time for us to be adults and sweep our side of the street!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hog,

Did you write something?

Sorry, must have missed it. There was this 5 paragraphs of 'fine print' and legal smegal looking stuff that I rolled through while looking for the post. :grin:

Nice story.

Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bull,

All work and no play makes Joby a confused boy! :smile:

You are confusing all the legal schmegal your are going through at work for ifish stuff!

Next thing we know you will be reporting that you heard about a good bite at the WAMU company cafeteria!

You need a fish!

PS - What are you doing after work :wink:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hogmaster, thanks for reminding us that sometimes if you wait too long you will be regretting it for a while. Nice story.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for reminding us how important our fathers were.......the first time I fished was on a rare family camping trip with my Dad, and I've been "hooked" ever since. . . . .

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hogmaster, thanks for sharing that with us. I doubt many of us can think of any more special fishing memories than those with our Dads. I sure miss mine, he passed on about 13 years ago and the most memorable trip was our last trip together just a few months before he passed. I'll never forget the smile on his face as we brought home a Chinook of a lifetime, it was sure a special moment, just one of so many great memories with him. Thanks again for sharing your memories of your Dad.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts